Women's basketball ties Big Sky record with loss

(Photo By Tyler Brown)  Kia Rhodes dribbles the ball in a past game. The Wildcats lost to the Bengals 68--37.
(Photo By Tyler Brown)
Kia Rhodes dribbles the ball in a past game. The Wildcats lost to the Bengals 68–37.

The Weber State University women’s basketball team lost a tough game against the Idaho State University Bengals on Thursday night by a score of 68-37.

This was the 44th-straight loss for the Wildcats, tying a Big Sky record for most consecutive losses.

The Wildcats got out to the early lead, jumping ahead by six points in the first seven minutes after going on a quick 5-0 run.

ISU responded with a 10-2 run, taking the lead with eight minutes to go in the half.

After exchanging buckets, the Bengals went on a tear to end the half. They outscored the Wildcats 14-4 in the last seven minutes of the half and went into the half up by 12 points, 31-19.

The Wildcats got into foul trouble early in the first half. The Bengals capitalized on free-throw tries, hitting 8-10 from the charity stripe.

ISU began the second half on the same foot as it ended the first half with, pushing the lead to as many as 19 in the early minutes of the second half.

In the second half, ISU was the team that got into foul trouble, getting seven team fouls in the first eight minutes of the half. However, the Wildcats were not able to capitalize on free-throw opportunities.

ISU began to pull further away, scoring 15 unanswered points as the Wildcats were held scoreless for nine straight minutes, pushing the lead to as many as 33 points.

Bengal senior Ashleigh Vella led all scorers with 14 points, and just missed out on a double-double with nine rebounds. Junior Lindsey Reed added 13 points for the Bengals.

Freshman Kalie Matthews had eight points and seven rebounds for WSU. Freshman Regina Okoye also had eight points and added three steals.

The Wildcats shot just 50 percent from the free-throw line, going 7-14, the lowest percentage they have shot in recent games. They gave the Bengals 24 free-throw attempts, which ISU capitalized on, hitting 17 of them.

The Wildcats were out-rebounded 56-31, giving the Bengals 19 offensive rebounds.

Previous to this game, the Big Sky record for most losses belonged solely to California State University, Sacramento, which lost 44 consecutive games from January 2001 to December 2002. The Wildcats’ last win came on Dec. 10, 2011 against CSU, Bakersfield. The Wildcats beat the Roadrunners at the Dee Events Center by a score of 85-72.

The Wildcats’ next game will be on Feb. 28 at 7 p.m. in the Dee Events Center. They will play the aforementioned CSUS Hornets.