Campus Recreation offers outdoor opportunities

Weber State University students looking to start their next outdoor adventure might not have to look much further than WSU’s own Campus Recreation. Campus Recreation provides students and faculty with opportunities to explore Utah’s outdoor offerings at a discount — and gives expert advice to those wanting to learn more.

Campus Recreation consists of employees and volunteer students looking to share what Utah has to offer in regards to outdoor adventure. All WSU students and faculty are eligible to enroll in any of the programs offered, and can rent equipment at a substantial discount with their student or faculty ID cards. The Campus Recreation Center serves a variety of skill sets, from novices seeking beginner’s hiking trails to intermediate river rafters seeking their next thrills.

“The great thing about Utah is that you can enjoy the outdoors all year round,” said Jenny Sidwell, CRC office assistant. “There’s an upcoming three-day camping trip to Moab. We’ve already gotten numerous sign-ups and are expecting many more students to register in the next week.”

Programs and courses include river rafting, hiking, camping, rock climbing, snowshoeing and downhill skiing. For students who spend their summers out of state, the program also offers plenty of winter activities beyond the typical downhill skiing and snowboarding trips.

“Snowshoeing has gained a lot of popularity in recent years,” Sidwell said. “It’s an easy activity to pick up and very affordable.”

Students can sign up for activities and rent equipment through the CRC on WSU’s campus. Though offsite trips take place throughout the state, the program also offers activities on campus, including the climbing wall in the Swenson Gym.

“I was new to Utah and was a little nervous about signing up for a weekend hiking trip,” said Michelle Strickland, a student at WSU. “The climbing wall on campus allowed me to get some exercise and ease my way into other programs.”

To sign up for programs and rent equipment, students can visit the CRC’s campus location or call 801-626-6373. A list of programs and activities is also available online at www.weber.edu/outdoor.