Playin' On Purple: Top five reasons girls should like sports

I interact with a lot of different girls on a day-to-day basis. Every female I interact with has a different tolerance level for sports. Some hate sports and refuse to watch anything sports-related, others have a “whatever” attitude toward it, and a few are like me, where sports are a daily obsession. These are the top five reasons why women should love sports.

5. Sports are entertaining and fun. If you’re watching sports or playing sports, it’s a form of entertainment. Sports tell a war story. Two teams fighting against each other to get a win is a real-life war scene. Oftentimes in sports, people mess up. They trip over third base. They crash into each other on the basketball court. There are bloopers in almost any game, and bloopers are always entertaining.

4. Sports are good stress relief. Every day I go about a million miles in one second. I play softball on Monday nights, and I can let out all my pent-up energy and stress with just a couple swings of the bat. Also, just watching sports can take your mind off of things for a while. You can just kick back and enjoy.

3. Sports are a great way to make new friends. Some of my very best friends today have been my teammates at one point in time. Being a teammate creates a special kind of trust in any relationship, because if a person has your back on the field or court, they will have your back in life. If you watch sports and, say, have a favorite NFL team, you can find others who have the same favorite team. If and when that happens, you can have fun conversations, hang out, unwind, eat good food — the possibilities of what you can do are endless when you have bonded over a common favorite thing.

2. Sports are a good source of exercise. This one means you actually have to play sports. It is recommended we get at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day. Any sport you would play or participate in will be longer than 30 minutes. Think of all the weight you would lose if you were constantly playing sports and working out. Have you seen the cheerleaders? Those girls lift, run, bend and stretch their bodies for hours every day. We all hate them and their rocking abs, but they have worked for that every day. The softball, volleyball and basketball players are the same way. They are fit, healthy, beautiful and confident.

1. Men. Girls should like sports because of the men. If you are single, in a relationship or married, you can be attracted to the guys playing sports. Some of the most physically attractive men play sports. Also, in almost every sport, the guys have to wear tight pants. Nothing wrong with that. If you’re single, any guy would be impressed if you can converse about last night’s game. It’s a great conversation-starter, and you can bond over sports. If you’re already married or in a relationship, it’s a fun activity you can do with your boyfriend or husband. They will only love you more for it. Whether it’s looking at the men, making stronger relationships or developing new ones, men are the biggest reason to get into sports.

Don’t just hate on sports because you don’t understand them. Keep an open mind and enjoy sports. That is why they are there.