Thank you for the memories: My time at WSU and The Signpost

Breanna Hart former editor-in-chief and copy chief of The Signpost.

If 18-year-old Breanna could see where current, 23-year-old Breanna is, she would probably have a heart attack. The past four and a half years have been a crazy whirlwind of changes and experiences that have molded me into the person I am today.

A huge part of my college experience has been The Signpost. I started here at Weber State University in the fall of 2019, but I didn’t join the staff of The Signpost until the spring of 2020. I had no idea the amount of time or energy or effort or love I would put into the paper.

I came to Weber State as a very shy, anxious person who didn’t really know who she was exactly. High school was a pretty tumultuous time for me, as I think it is for everyone. I am a queer woman who has lived in Utah her whole life and was not raised in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, so I often felt very isolated and alone as a lot of my peers at the time were not like me. It was hard for me to find my place, so when I finally graduated high school I felt free and felt as if college would give me a clean slate to work on and create the life I wanted.

My first semester was weird because general classes felt like high school part two, but I was pleasantly surprised that my peers were people who actually wanted to be here and learn. It felt different.

I didn’t join The Signpost until my second semester here. My uncle on my dad’s side of the family was the editor-in-chief for The Signpost once upon a time, and working for the student newspaper seemed like something that could be cool. After meeting and talking to this random dude (who is now one of my best friends) in a rock climbing class who also happened to work on staff, I was convinced to apply.

I have always wanted to learn how to edit other people’s work, so I applied for the copy desk. I had no prior knowledge of AP Style or anything, but I got the job.

I was super excited, but also very apprehensive because what if I wasn’t good?

Turns out, I was pretty damn good. I’ve been here for the past four years and it’s been one of the best things I could have ever done for myself. I have grown so much and have learned even more. It’s been a long, crazy, transformative journey. Starting at the paper I just wanted to stay as a copy editor so I didn’t have to put myself out there or make the tough decisions a leader is often expected to make. However, the Gods of The Signpost (Jean Norman and previous editors-in-chief) had other plans.

I quickly moved up through the ranks from copy editor to assistant (to the) copy chief, copy chief and then editor-in-chief. My year as editor-in-chief was challenging, and honestly one of the hardest years of my college career, but it was so rewarding and I grew to love The Signpost even more than I did before.

I am so thankful for everything I have been able to learn and experience here at Weber State. I could write forever about all the stories I have and all the friends I’ve made, but I was told I couldn’t take up every page in this issue, so I’m going to keep it short.

I have loved working with The Signpost. I can honestly say that it has changed my world and my life. I am no longer that shy, anxious, insecure 18-year-old girl, I am confident and not afraid to be loud or to be who I authentically am.

I have loved everything about my college experience and every single person who has come into my life. I am also extremely thankful to the people who are no longer in my life, because they also played a huge role in making me who I am today.

Needless to say, I am so happy and grateful and proud of me and all my accomplishments. I have done things that I never thought I would.

I just want to say thank you to Weber State and The Signpost and all my friends and family. You will forever be in my heart and in my mind. I love you all.