Lessons learned

Macy McCormack
Lexie Andrew at National Model United Nations in the town hall of Erfurt, Germany.

I have had many opportunities through my time here at Weber State University and in life. I have learned valuable skills and lessons that I will continue to use for the rest of my life. One of these lessons is balancing school and life.

I am a hard worker and will always produce work to the best of my ability. For some reason, I like to challenge myself and see how much I can really do and take on.

I have taken 18 credit hours since I started college. This semester was the first time I took less (not by much though, only 15). I learned how to juggle 12-15 assignments a week to stay on top of all my classes, my two jobs and life

Teaching preschool and coaching gymnastics are both insane and chaotic, but I love it. These kids are hilarious and will always brighten my day, even when it’s hard. They have taught me patience and allowed me to be me.

I work for The Signpost (obviously). I started as a reporter for the culture desk and now am the co-editor for the desk. It definitely had its ups and downs, but the lessons I learned in that office are some I will take with me throughout life.

I have taken some opportunities that many didn’t see me taking. I was on Weber State’s Model UN team, where we went to San Francisco and Germany to compete in national conferences. We won various awards on our paperwork and the delegation as a whole.

I am not a politician, but it showed me how to navigate within a political arena and showed me how the international community works. It also helped me build confidence in myself because it was so out of my comfort zone.

My internship was in the Marche region in Italy. There I was able to learn what it takes to be a travel journalist. I learned what it would take to be out on my own as a journalist. I got to experience and see new perspectives on life and learn how to navigate in a new country. I met so many amazing people who taught me a lot and have become good friends.

It’s a lot on someone’s plate. There were times when I thought, “You know what, I really have reached my limit.” But I pulled through. By the end of it, I thought it was a piece of cake and somehow managed to add a little more.

All this said it’s a lot for some people. It worked for me, but I didn’t have a life outside of all of this. If I wasn’t at work, I was at school. If I wasn’t at school, I was at work.

I burnt out for sure at least twice and there were a couple other times when I probably did, I just didn’t admit it. There were times when I definitely should’ve taken a step back, but I didn’t.

I am extremely blessed to have been able to do all of these things. The lessons and skills I have taken away from these experiences will only help me in my life, but I wish I had more time for life outside of school.

If I could do it all over again (I won’t), I would give myself some room to breathe and live. That is the main lesson I’m taking away from my time at WSU. I will still be hardworking and always put my best work forward, but I’m also going to give myself room to have a life and live outside of work.