Volleyball goes 1-2 at weekend tourney in Wash.

Photo By: Crystal Charriere
Caitlin Penrod bumps the ball in a game last year. Volleyball went 1-2 on the weekend in a tournament at Washington State University.

The Weber State University volleyball team recently returned from a tournament held in Pullman, Wash., where the team defeated one of its three opponents.

The Wildcats were invited to participate in the Cougar Challenge tournament, in which they were scheduled for three matches — against Seattle University, Alabama State University and Washington State University, the tournament’s host school.

The first match for WSU was a close battle against SU on Friday afternoon. The Wildcats won the first set with a score of 23-25, but lost the next set against the Redhawks, 31-29. The third set for WSU was a win with a score of 22-25. With a 2-1 game lead, WSU lost its final two sets against SU, giving SU a 3-2 game victory.

The next match for the ‘Cats was against ASU on Friday night, not long after their first match. WSU won the game against the Hornets in three sets, with scores of 25-15, 25-15 and 25-19. WSU had 34 kills, as opposed to 18 from ASU, as well as 10 blocks, as opposed to only one from the Hornets.

The Wildcats’ final match was against Washington. WSU lost the first set with a score of 25-21 after a few close opportunities and lost the next two sets against the Cougars with scores of 25-14 and 25-16.

“I’m disappointed we lost to Seattle,” said WSU Head Coach Tom Peterson. “I thought that was a win that we should have had, but we just played too inconsistent to do that. It’s hard to tell against Alabama State because that team is so young, and we should have beaten them (according to) where they are and where we are, and for a period of time I thought that against Washington State we played well, but we just could not sustain a long period of time of playing well like Washington State could.”

The Cougar Challenge tournament was the second preseason tournament of the year so far for the Wildcats. They also attended the Utah State Invitational on Aug. 2425, where they played three matches and left with a win and two losses.

“We play preseason matches like we are trying to do with the good teams that we have because we are trying to get better, not just trying to get wins,” Peterson said. “So I think one purpose (of) why we went was met. I think we are getting better, and we have learned some things about ourselves, and I think we are going to get significantly better here in the next little while. It’s shown us what we need to work on and shown the players what they need to work on.”

WSU’s next tournament will be held on Friday and Saturday in Hammond, La., for the Southeastern Louisiana Tournament. The Wildcats (2-4) will face Southern University, Southeastern Louisiana University, Louisiana Tech University and the University of Texas-Pan American.

Sophomore Audrey Biggs, who leads the Wildcats with 51 kills, commented on the team’s preparations for its upcoming tournament.

“(We are) just working hard in the gym and working hard on our consistency and sticking to the scouting reports,” Biggs said. “We’ve been working a lot on serving, which has been one of our weaknesses, and (we are) just making sure that we’re getting good, hard, tough serves in the court. . . . We are just preparing for anything right now. We are excited to play, and we’re getting ready to go.”