Volleyball hosts tournament as spring play nears close

On Saturday, the Weber State University volleyball team hosted a spring volleyball tournament in the Swenson Gym at the end of its spring schedule.

WSU got off to a slow start with its spring schedule. The team began spring play by traveling to Cedar City to participate in the Southern Utah University tournament.

Head coach Tom Peterson said the team struggled during the tournament, and that there were a lot of things the team was working on at the time. Following the SUU tournament, the Wildcats went down to Salt Lake City to take part in the University of Utah tournament, and the Wildcats struggled there as well.

“We were disappointed by how we played,” Peterson said. “We were just up and down, and our errors piled up.”

The WSU tournament on Saturday featured teams from throughout Utah and Idaho. Eight teams faced off against each other in two pools. Pool 1 saw SUU, Snow College and Salt Lake Community College face off against each other, along with a team called Weber Plus, made up of reserve players from the Wildcats and several other teams there.

Pool 2 was made up of the WSU Wildcats, the College of Southern Idaho, Westminster College and Western Wyoming Community College. In Pool 1, SC faced off against WC, while WWCC played Weber Plus in the first round.

WC defeated SC and faced off against WWCC in the final round. Despite its best efforts, WC lost the pool to WWCC. In Pool 2, WSU and CSI both won their opening-round matches to face off in the final round. WSU played hard and managed to defeat CSI to win its pool.

Afterward, Peterson said he was happy with what he saw from the team.

“We did what it took to win,” Peterson said. “Winning our tournament is great, and playing well at the end is really good as well.”

Peterson said he was especially impressed by the team’s performance in the final match, as he noted that the team really seemed to dominate, especially in the final game. There are still a couple things the team needs to work on, though, according to Peterson. Cutting back on errors and working on ball control were two of the most important things he said the team still needs to work on.

“Our outside hitters were able to hammer the ball,” Peterson said. “That’s been something we have been missing on a consistent basis. We got to keep that up.”

The Wildcats will conclude their spring schedule this Saturday when they go to Orem to play in the Utah Valley University tournament. Despite the tournament win, Peterson said there is still a lot of work left to be done.

“We still have some basic things to work on,” Peterson said. “We haven’t arrived at all. That’s something I’ve told the team. We haven’t made it out the front door yet. We got a long ways to go before we are a really good team. But we are on our way.”