¡Felicitaciones a los graduados!

A Weber State graduate with her diploma after the 2021 LatinX graduation ceremony.

The fifth annual LatinX Grad Ceremony is coming up at Weber State University. The LGC is a celebration of those who have been able to graduate like the commencement.

The LGC is held once a year in the spring and is for those who are graduating in spring or summer 2023 or graduated in fall 2022. This year, it will be held on April 22 from noon to 2 p.m. at Browning Center’s Austad Auditorium.

The LGC is completely bilingual and dedicated to those who identify as LatinX or Hispanic. The LGC is not an alternative to the commencement but a dedicated event to honor Latin and Hispanic cultures.

“It’s just a separate, intimate ceremony to be able to celebrate the accomplishments from students who identify as part of this community and a space for their families to celebrate their achievements,” Jacqueline Perez, an academic advisor for concurrent enrollment and president of the LGC, said.

Students who wish to participate must have applied to graduate, be eligible to participate in commencement activities, be graduating during one of the three semesters that the LGC is for and attend all meetings and the rehearsal.

During the LGC, there will be cultural performances and student speakers. The student speakers will be chosen from the participants.

“These students are able to celebrate the way they want to,” Perez said. “We don’t have a dress code, we don’t make them wear their cap and gown; that’s optional. They can wear cultural attire, you’re able to see a little bit more of where they came from.”

This ceremony is not only important for the student, but also for the parents who only speak their native language.

“I think it’s very important that their family also is able to interact within the graduation and understand the ceremony, which is like, for example, if you’re a native speaker, or you have parents who only speak your native language, a lot of the times, they don’t understand the ceremonies in English,” Perez said. “Whereas in this, the whole time, they understand the entire ceremony. They interact — you can see it in their faces how happy and excited they get that there is something offered for them. In that sense, it’s not just an accomplishment for the students, it’s an accomplishment for the families as well.”

Students who choose to participate will be given a stole they can wear during commencement, a certificate and 30 seconds to speak and address family and friends in their native tongue. Students don’t have to speak if they don’t want to.

In the past, The turnout counting participants and those just attending was between 300 and 400. Perez hopes to see at least 500 attendees. This year, 145 graduating students signed up.

The LGC is open to all staff and students who would like to attend regardless of ethnicity. The application for those who wish to participate is located on the LGC website.