Women's basketball falls to SUU

SUU Athletics
(Source: SUU Athletics)
Southern Utah University senior Carli Moreland pump-fakes Weber State University sophomore Jalen Carpenter in a game last week. Moreland had 19 points against the Wildcats.

The Weber State University women’s basketball team looks to be on its way to being something special in the next couple of years, but in the present, it has been on a rough road of learning experience, especially on the road.

The Wildcats fell to in-state rival Southern Utah University on Thursday evening 76-64. The loss dropped the Wildcats’ record to 4-10, 0-5 in the Big Sky Conference.

On a night when the Wildcats shot 39 percent from the field and 46 percent from the 3-point line, they were unable to overcome a second-half run from SUU.

“We learned once again that you have to play a full 40 minutes for us to win,” said head coach Bethann Ord, “especially on the road.”

Coming off a strong performance a week earlier, Desiree Ramos attempted her best John Stockton impression against SUU. When the shots struggled to fall, Ramos made the most of her time on the court by finding her open teammates.

When all was said and done, Ramos was credited with a double-double with 15 points and 10 assists. Amanda Hughes once again showcased her all-around game as she pulled down seven rebounds, while leading the team in scoring with 17 points.

Elizabeth Mounier came off the bench to add 11 points while shooting 75 percent from beyond the arc. Ord has found a way to get the most out of the players, whether they come off the bench or are part of the starting five.

“We just need to keep working hard,” Ramos said. “Once we can get over the small mistakes, it is going to be scary.”

The Wildcats found themselves in front early on, as they were up by as much as seven in the first five minutes of the game. But SUU responded and closed the gap to take the lead.

After leading 11-10, the Wildcats allowed SUU to take the lead they would never relinquish. The Wildcats had no response for the offense of SUU as four players scored in double figures, with Carli Moreland leading all scorers with 19.

That was the last time the Wildcats saw the lead, as SUU finished the first half with a six-point advantage.

The second half belonged to the Thunderbirds, as they were able to get their lead to as many as 15 in the early minutes of play. But the resilient Wildcats once again put their heads down and went to work. All season, it hasn’t mattered if they were down 20 or two — they have never given up, and continue to force the other team to play a great brand of basketball.

With just less than three minutes remaining, the Wildcats seemed to have found hope for another comeback when Ramos hit a three to bring them within seven points. But SUU was able to get to the free-throw line and make the shots when it needed to. The early second-half deficit was just too much for them to overcome.

The Wildcats will travel to Bozeman, Mont., to take on Montana State University on Thursday at 7 p.m.