Stewart Library hosts annual book sale

Friends of the Stewart Library hosted its annual book sale at Weber State University this week. The sale began

(Photo by Kenny Haeffele) Students browse the annual book sale at the Stewart Library. Proceeds will go to Friends of the Stewart Library, an organization that helps support and finance events, exhibitions and new resources for the library.

on Thursday and will continue into next week, taking place on the lower level of the Stewart Library inside the west entrance. The proceeds of the book sale will go to Friends of the Stewart Library, an organization that helps support and finance events, exhibitions and new resources for the library. The sale is open to the public.

“We’ve had quite a few people who have taken home boxes of books,” said Sara Pomeroy, the reserve processor for the Stewart Library, who was helping with sales transactions for the event. “And quite a few professors who have come in (are) also interested. (It) seems to be going well.”

Chad Warner, a WSU student studying French, was one of those who left the book sale with his arms full, carrying a cardboard box of books.

“I actually found a lot more than I was looking for,” Warner said.

Tables are set up with books roughly organized into genres. In addition to books, the sale features VHS cassettes, CDs, 16 mm films, sheet music, and educational kits for education majors or teachers. Friends of the Stewart Library donated most of the items for the sale.

Hardback books, vinyl records, CDs and videocassettes are all being sold for $1 each, and paperback books and sheet music are sold for 50 cents each. T-shirts are also being sold for $12.

“It’s cheap books,” said Daniel Rodriguez, a junior studying social work.

Rodriguez said he was particularly looking for books pertinent to social work and sociology. He said he found a lot, but that some of the books and information in the books seemed a bit dated.

“Aside from that, it was really good fiction books and some good just-for-fun books,” Rodriguez said.

Cecily Nye, a sophomore who plans on entering the medical field, browsed the fiction and literature sections. Nye said she wasn’t very interested in books for her course of study, joking that she already had enough textbooks and medical books.

“I don’t feel like I need more,” she said.

Jamie Weeks, the associate curator of digital and archival collections for the Stewart Library, said the fundraiser provides students with the opportunity to get as many books as they want and in turn helps provide for the library.