WSU Women's Tennis Remains Winless, Drops Two

Tuesday afternoon, the Weber State University women’s tennis team played against the Utah State University Aggies for the second time this year. Despite excellent play in the singles matches, WSU lost to USU 2-5.

In the doubles matches, WSU found themselves overmatched by USU. Freshman Carly Lloyd and sophomore Thais Kurer struggled in their match, losing three games to eight. Sophomores Michelle Warwick and Nittaya Phonharath did not fare much better, as they too lost, 4-8.

In a very close match, senior Brittiny Moore and sophomore Ashley Tanner played hard but came up short against the Aggies, losing 7-8 as the Aggies completed their sweep.

Head Coach Jonas Ehrlin talked after the game about the team needing to focus on the doubles matches.

“Again, we came out slow in doubles,” Ehrlin said. “We need to improve on doubles so we can get the doubles point.”

Moore agreed with Coach Ehrlin that the team needs to work harder in doubles, saying, “If we don’t show up in doubles, I don’t think we are going to do as well in singles.”

Despite losing the doubles point, the Wildcats showed some success in the singles matches. In the number six match, Kurer won her first set 6-2. She followed that up by winning the next set 6-4 to take the match.

In the number three, four, and five matches, Phonharath, Warwick, and Annika Karlsen each lost their first sets by the same score of 4-6. Phonharath and Warwick both were shutout in their second set, while Karlsen lost her second set 3-6.

Moore and Tanner, playing in the number one and two matches, respectively, both lost their first matches, Moore 1-6 and Tanner 3-6. They managed to rally in the second sets though, as Moore won 7-5 and Tanner took her set 6-4. Tanner kept the score close in her third set, but was unable to complete the comeback and lost her third set 4-6. Moore, however, capped her rally by winning the third set 6-4.

Ehrlin was proud of the team’s performances in the singles matches despite the loss. In particular, he pointed out the number one and two matches as long, epic matches. He also gave praise to Moore’s performance, as Moore was able to defeat McKenzie Davis and give Davis her second loss of the year.

Moore said that it felt good to win her match, after losing her last match in three sets.

Moore also praised her team.

“I think the team played well today,” Moore said. “We all went out and fought really hard.”

The Wildcats remained at home Thursday afternoon when they hosted conference rival Montana State University.  WSU faltered in the doubles matches again and lost the doubles point for the 12th consecutive game.

In the number one and three matches, Moore and Tanner, and Lloyd and Kurer both lost their matches 8-6. Phonharath and Warwick struggled in the number two doubles match, falling 8-2.

In singles competition, five out of the six matches lasted only two sets. Moore in the number one match was the only one to go three sets.After taking the first set 6-2, Moore dropped her final two sets both by the score of 2-6.

In the number two match, Tanner won two straight sets to give her the victory, winning her first set 6-0 and her second 6-4.

Phonharath and Warwick were both swept in the numbers three and four matches, Phonharath losing 2-6, 3-6, and Warwick losing 0-6 in both of her sets.

Kurer was able to win the number five match, winning 6-3 in the first set and 6-4 in the second, but Karlsen lost the number six match, 3-6 and 2-6. The 2-5 loss for the team was its its loss of the year, and the Wildcats remain without a win.

Tomorrow will be the final home game of the season for the Wildcats when they host conference rival Idaho State University.

Moore remained upbeat as she talked about the key to victory for the team.

“I think if we go out there and win the doubles point,” Moore said, “I think (the win is) going to be in the bag for us.”