The future of commencement at WSU

The Weber State University “W” decorates a stand for speakers in the fall 2023 graduation.

Weber State University shocked students and staff when the university announced this year’s graduation commencement speaker would be Emmy-nominated actor and comedian Rainn Wilson. With this announcement came another: WSU will continue to have higher-profile speakers for future commencements.

As WSU continues to push community-focused initiatives, graduation has made its way to the list of university events that can be enjoyed within the university, as well as in the community that Weber is a big part of.

“Weber State and Northern Utah, our histories are really entwined and we’ve established ourselves as an enduring presence in the community,” Bryan Magaña, public relations director for the university, said. “So especially on the biggest day of the year, we want the community to be a part of that.”

The university has a few different reasons behind this push for a more community-inclusive graduation, including attendance of graduation from community members

“A lot of universities, including Weber State, have seen a drop in attendance at commencement. The folks who do tend to come, they enjoy the formal and ceremonial aspects of it,” Magaña said. “But this year, we wanted to make it a little more celebratory, where graduates can really come together and celebrate their achievements with each other, and now with members of their local community.”

Another reason for the community-focused push is to get eyes and ears on the university. Those who may not be involved in or aware of the university may get the chance to learn more about it through this extra incentive to come to graduation.

“Something I’m really excited about is maybe there’s a younger brother or a sister or a spouse or a friend who’s in that audience, who maybe would not have come before, and now they’re thinking, ‘Hey, maybe I could do this too. Maybe I could consider Weber State,’” Magaña said. “And, for me, that’s really exciting is just getting more eyes on those graduates, more eyes on Weber State and potentially opening up more possibilities for people in terms of their academic dreams.”

Graduation at any institution is a big deal for graduating students, and with much of WSU being made up of non-traditional or remote students, commencement has lost some of its sparkle within the community and WSU is determined to get that back.

“We want to get more eyes on our graduates,” Magaña said. “Commencement really is absolutely all about our graduates and their achievements. They’re the stars. They’re the focus. Bringing in eyes on those graduates and more eyes on Weber State just creates an even bigger celebration.”

The inaugural speaker for this initiative is actor and comedian Rainn Wilson, best known for his role as Dwight Schrute on the American sitcom “The Office.” Wilson’s speech will take place on April 26 in the Dee Events Center from 7 to 8:30 p.m. during WSU’s General Commencement.

“We see his quotes all over social media, all over the internet, but what people may not know about him is that, besides being an acclaimed actor, he’s a producer, he’s a director, he’s an author, a podcaster and he also is someone who holds a master’s degree,” Magaña said. “I think a lot of people might be surprised about that. He can really speak to the value of higher education, and the opportunities that it offers. And this is a message of course, we’re always trying to get across in general, but especially at graduation.”

Though commencement is focused on the graduates, anyone within WSU’s community is invited to join the graduates at commencement. There is no cost to tickets or limited entry, though seating is first come, first serve.

“We’ve had questions on social media. I’ve heard people saying, ‘I wish I could come.’ Well, you can. It’s open to the public,” Magaña said.

As Weber State continues to push community-focused incentives like commencement speakers, a newly-announced year-round lighted “W” on the mountain and more community-based events, the goal is to create a more tight-knit connection between Weber State University and the community that surrounds it.

Though guests of graduation do not need a ticket to attend the event, graduates must pick up their ticket for their section of the event. They can pick these up at Grad Finale on April 8 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Dee Events Center, where they can also pick up their free cap and gown and other graduation essentials. WSU’s Davis campus will host their Grad Finale on April 10 from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Stewart Center.

“I’m hoping that graduation and commencement only gets better and better every year,” Magaña said. “I think this is a stepping stone toward greater and grander commencements in the future.”