Outdoor Program: Waldo’s first stop

Rental mountain bikes hang from bike racks inside of the Outdoor Rec Center.

Students at Weber State University have access to a resource that connects them with unique opportunities to connect with peers and the outdoors. The Outdoor Program at WSU boasts a variety of pathways to recreational activities.

“It’s the best-kept secret on campus,” Daniel Turner, campus recreation associate director, said.

The program has four primary functions: equipment rentals, Adventure Programs, a Challenge Course and a Technical Training Center.

The equipment and gear rentals are “the bread and butter of the program,” according to Turner. WSU students get 30% off. Rentals include mountain bikes, lawn sports sets, river and lake gear and winter gear like skis.

The Adventure Program organizes 200 trips a year. Hayley Prine, the Outdoor Program coordinator, oversees the Adventure Program trips.

“We are lucky enough to have really beautiful outdoor spaces to do that in here in Ogden,” Prine said.

Prine, originally from Missouri, intentionally moved to the West seeking the range of experiences it offers.

New Weber students are invited to the Experience Weber overnight camping trip to Pineview Reservoir in August, before the start of fall semester. All-inclusive tickets are $40.

After a day on the lake, featuring a 20 ft blow-up water slide, WSU faculty and administration join the party for dinner. Turner said students don’t want to miss the event.

“Anybody who goes on the trip says it was a highlight,” Turner said.

Students can also engage with the Outdoor program through a variety of student jobs.

“We’re super accommodating because we do work with students and their schedules, and if you work here, you get free rentals and, a lot of times, discounted prices to go on Haley’s [Adventure Program] trips,” Amy Knight, an Outdoor Program coordinator, said.

The Outdoor Program is looking to hire a rental technician and a challenge course facilitator.

“Our challenge course is a great opportunity for high school students to kind of flex their leadership skills and come on as employees here,” Prine said.

The applications and job postings can be found at jobs.weber.edu.

The Outdoor Program increases campus recreation to keep student retention by engaging students in meaningful experiences.

“If nothing else, a weekend trip adds value to students’ time at Weber State University,” Turner said.