Know the area like a local

Out of state student? This one is for you.

Leaving the nest and going to college can be an exciting yet scary experience, especially coming from out of state. Here are some tips and tricks from someone who’s been there.

Out of state tips (Emily Crooks)-3.jpg
(Photo Illustration by Emily Crooks / The Signpost)

1. Try, if you can, to attend the orientation that is offered throughout the school year before officially moving. These will help you get familiarized with the campus. This could prove to be of importance for when you finally are settling in, to know your way around campus. If you’re not able to attend an orientation, you are still be able to familiarize yourself with the Weber.edu website and should also research on the university. This can help with understanding how to use the eWeber portal, register online and access other valuable information.

Out of state tips (Emily Crooks).jpg

2. Make sure your financial aid, registration for classes, housing and meal plan are all prepared before you leave home. This will ensure that when you get to your new college, you will have a place to live, have your funding set up, and classes ready, thus allowing you to avoid struggling to get loose ends tied.

Out of state tips (Emily Crooks)-5.jpg

3. When you get here, try to get familiarized with the area, the quicker the better. I know that being out of state can make it quite difficult to learn the ins and outs of an unfamiliar place that you may be moving to. However, being able to know basic streets and landmarks in the area can help make things a bit easier for you to get around.

Out of state tips (Emily Crooks)-2.jpg

4. If you have any medical prescriptions, make sure to contact your doctor to transfer your information/medication over to a local pharmacy. That way, when you need a refill, you aren’t panicking to have it mailed from home.

Out of state tips (Emily Crooks) 5.jpg
(The Signpost Archives / Photo Illustration by Emily Crooks / The Signpost)

5. Bring clothes that are appropriate for the climate that you are moving to. I’m from California, and coming to school in Utah I didn’t realize just how cold the winters could get. Making sure that you have the appropriate attire for the climate that you are entering can save you from a freezing winter! This ties in with doing some research on the area before you move there. It’s always best to be prepared, especially with our lovely, sometimes unpredictable Utah weather.

Out of state tips (Emily Crooks)-4.jpg

6. Buy your airfare or plan your road trip a good amount of time in advance. During the couple of weeks before school starts, students and families will be traveling to the university, and hotels can book fast. Avoid this by getting travel arrangements in line early!

Lastly, it is important to remember to that you are entering a new, exciting phase in your life! The planning can be stressful and can leave some feeling drained. However, one that part is behind you the rest is history, and it gets easier from year to year. So, wildcat, get excited and welcome to Weber!