MovieGrille to offer films and food

The Movie Grille will offer Food and Film to guests.
(Source: Adam Jackman) The Movie Grille will offer food and film to guests.

The MovieGrille is a dine-in movie theater slated to open in mid-October. The MovieGrille will offer a full menu, including appetizers, entrees and alcohol, as well as theater staples like popcorn.

Adam Jackman, the owner and founder of MovieGrille, said dine-in movie theaters are huge outside of Utah, especially in states like Texas. Moviegoers will be able to enjoy not only a movie, but also dinner, all from the comfort of a recliner.

“It’s a different atmosphere,” Jackman said. “Here in Utah, you’re used to the Megaplex experience.”

Being served in the theater and being able to order from a recliner might feel different in the beginning, but Jackman said he thinks patrons will love the experience of a dine-in movie theater.

“It’ll take people time to get used to a server walking past your seat, but it’s a great experience,” he said. “I struggle to go to movies these days and not be sitting in a recliner, because it’s just so much more comfortable.”

Concerned about exorbitant ticket prices, Jackman said he intends to keep prices on tickets and concessions reasonable.

“We wanted to give a more affordable option. At the Megaplex, you’ll pay $9.25 a ticket, whereas here our price will be $5,” he said. “You can’t go with a group of four and go to the Megaplex and not spend at least $40. We want to make it affordable to come in here and get an appetizer, drink and a ticket for under 20 bucks per person. A lot of dine-in theaters outside of Utah can be really expensive, so we’ve tried to create a hybrid model with that VIP experience at an affordable price.”

Jackman also said that while the MovieGrille will offer beer and wine, he will still encourage a family-friendly environment.

“When you go out to dinner, you have the option to order a glass of beer or wine, so that’s what we wanted to give that experience here,” he said. “Whether you’re a drinker or not, you’re welcome here. We’re very family-friendly, so this won’t be somewhere to come and get drunk. We will never over-serve on alcohol. We think serving alcohol will add to the experience of being able to kick back and enjoy a drink.”

Greg Herbert, the general manager, said he thinks MovieGrille will be a huge success in Utah, not just for the experience, but also for the wide range of options that come with this style of theater.

“I’m excited,” he said. “This is going to be huge! You just can’t beat the experience. I mean, $5 day tickets, $6 evening tickets, and you’re talking about VIP treatment, refills on your drinks while you’re laying back in a La-Z-Boy watching a movie. I mean, there are other things we can do. We can do Sunday night football games, and guys can come in and have their recliner and their beer and watch their game on a huge screen. There are a lot of fun ideas that you can do with a dine-in movie theater.”

Herbert said that as well as providing another movie theater option, the MovieGrille will provide workers in the downtown business area and families another place to come and enjoy good food.

“This is an area where so many people are eating,” he said. “We’re right in the heart of the downtown business district. I think we’re going to give folks a gourmet choice of menu. I think we’re also going to give people a place to come and socialize; we have a couple of couches, a pool table and TVs . . . What we’re creating is a way for families to go out and spend quality time together.”

Randall Miller, a senior studying human resources, said that as a college student, MovieGrille is something he would like to experience.

“It sounds like something I’d like to invite my friends to,” he said. “I usually go to Salt Lake and hang out with friends there, but with something new and unique like a dine-in movie theater, I’d have my friends come to Ogden and try it out.”

Miller also said he found the idea of ordering in the theater “intriguing.”

“I think it would take some getting used to, but I like the idea of being able to have dinner with your movie instead of before.”

More information and tickets are available on the MovieGrille’s Facebook page or its website, http://www.moviegrille.com/.