Scholarship opportunities for the arts

Art professor at Weber State, Sara Serratos, teaching student Max Young about developing film (taken on film).

Wiktoria Kolodziejczyk is an international student from Poland, double majoring in instrumental performance and Spanish. She plays violin for Weber State University, which earns her a performing arts scholarship.

“It’s a good help for me and my family to just pay for tuition because as an international student, we pay out-of-state tuition. The cost can be really high,” Kolodziejczyk said. “It definitely allows me to focus a little bit more on my studies.”

Kolodziejczyk receives one of over 50 performing and visual arts scholarships WSU offers. Instead of taking high school GPA and ACT/SAT scores into consideration like Weber’s academic scholarships, these sources of financial aid are determined by major declared, financial need or proficiency. Eligibility and requirements for performing arts scholarships can be found at the Lindquist College of Arts and Humanities website.

Other times, these scholarships may require auditions or participation in some sort of activity.

Brianna Wooden receives a dance scholarship and tuition waiver.

“With this scholarship, you have an agreement with the dance program to participate in their performance group, Orchesis and fulfill a given number of production hours,” Wooden said.

Wooden said at the beginning of the semester, when auditions for Orchesis took place, there was a Google form where dancers could say whether or not they also wanted to be considered for the tuition waiver.

“Not only has this scholarship helped me financially, but the requirements behind maintaining this scholarship have given me a lot of learning and performing opportunities,” Wooden said.

Wooden added that because of these opportunities, she was able to learn more about the technical side of stage productions like lighting and sound.

Andrew Barratt Lewis, associate professor of theater and chair of the performing arts scholarship committee, said that in the past, students reached out and were given an audition time. However, this could look different this year as Weber is implementing a new Specialized Scholarship Application.

Both Wooden and Kolodziejczyk said the best way to learn more about these opportunities is to get in contact with the faculty in that specific department.

Kolodziejczyk said to get in contact with them before applying for the scholarships so that they can show you all of the options available.

“The performing arts are eager to help you. They want to give everyone opportunities. The dance education administrator, Amanda Sowerby, is great about finding all sorts of scholarships and grants for students to earn money,” Wooden said. “There are so many resources for people, you just have to ask and apply for everything.”

These scholarships are applied to through the Specialized Scholarship Application found on the financial aid department’s website.

Lewis said that while only in-state students can receive tuition waivers, scholarships are still available for transfer, out-of-state and international students. He also emphasized that students should reapply in future years regardless if they received a scholarship their first year.

“Even if you don’t get a scholarship in your first year, you should come and make yourself really useful,” Lewis said. “Many of our students end up on a scholarship their second year.”

Lewis said this is because the department gets to know a student a lot more throughout the year that they know them, rather than from a quick audition.

Lewis also talked about a scholarship that is new this year for the theater department. Created by Catherine Zublin, a recently-retired theater professor, the new scholarship will go towards theater students with extenuating circumstances that are making it difficult to continue school.

More information can be found on each department’s website, and questions can be addressed to [email protected].

“We’re not scary. If you need help, ask a professor in the area you’re interested in and we’re going to help you,” Lewis said.