News Quiz 9/6/23

Amy Sussman/Tribunews
Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner attend the 2023 Vanity Fair Oscar Party Hosted By Radhika Jones at Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts on March 12, 2023 in Beverly Hills, California. (Photo by Amy Sussman/Getty Images)

QUESTIONS:
1. From which state did a convicted murder escape prison, prompting an ongoing manhunt?
A. New York
B. Delaware
C. Pennsylvania
D. Florida

2. What has prevented attendees of popular art festival, Burning Man, from leaving the festival?
A. Mud
B. Heat Waves
C. Landslides
D. Wildfires

3. Conservation groups are suing the state of Utah, trying to save which natural feature?
A. Goblin Valley
B. Great Salt Lake
C. Bryce Canyon
D. Bear Lake

4. Which A-list celebrity couple announced their divorce this week?
A. Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher
B. Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas
C. Chrissy Teigen and John Legend
D. Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds

ANSWERS:
1. The answer is C, Pennsylvania. According to CNN, convicted murderer Danelo Cavalcante escaped from the Chester County Prison in Pennsylvania on Aug. 31. Investigators believe Cavalcante climbed onto the prison roof to escape.

2. The answer is A, Mud. According to NPR, heavy rains and mud kept thousands of attendees stranded at the Burning Man festival, which took place from Aug. 27 to Sept. 4, when traffic bans were lifted. The following morning on Sept. 5, traffic was so congested that it took drivers around seven hours to travel five miles to the nearest paved road.

3. The answer is B, Great Salt Lake. According to The Salt Lake Tribune, complainants argued the Utah Department of Natural Resources is failing to protect the largest saline ecosystem in the Western Hemisphere, and must take larger steps to reduce water consumption in Utah.

4. The answer is B, Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas. According to People.com, Jonas filed for divorce on Sept. 5, and the filing claimed their marriage of four years is “irretrievably broken.”