Doing service in memory of others

Rememberance Day CMYK.jpg
(PxHere.com)

The Service Day of Remembrance at Weber State University recognizes not only those who dedicated their lives to service and have since passed away but also represents the continuation of service the deceased’s loved ones uphold in their names. It has evolved to stand for a legacy of service.

The 7th Annual Service Day of Remembrance will be held Oct. 10 as it is traditionally held the Wednesday of Homecoming week at WSU. This year, Teresa Martinez, the program coordinator of the Center for Community Engaged Learning, has been in charge of organizing the day.

“This day was created to honor those who have passed away, whose life was dedicated to service,” Martinez said. She said that the day was originally created to fill the need of a group-service day for WSU and to remember one specific student.

Early college freshman Adrian Maxson was killed during his senior year at DaVinci in an auto-pedestrian accident. On his way home from an Amnesty International benefit concert, he was struck by a car on Harrison Boulevard and killed.

Maxson loved service, particularly relating to social justice and politics. WSU created a scholarship in Maxon’s name, specifically encouraging DaVinci students and those with a passion for social justice to apply.

Maxson’s parents wanted a little more to honor their son, and with the help of WSU and DaVinci behind them, they created a collaborative, group day of service to remember him.

While WSU decided to take Maxson’s name out of the title of the Service Day to encompass acknowledging Cody Ray Odekirk as well. Odekirk died in a plane accident while doing humanitarian work building houses in Guatemala. In honor of them both, WSU felt it should make the day, “an umbrella day of service,” as Martinez said. DaVinci still keeps his name in the title today,

In honor of Odekirk, Maxson and all other volunteers lost, there will be two simultaneous events happening on Oct. 10.

“Everyone, from staff and faculty to students to community members, are welcome to come serve together,” Martinez said, all under the goal of honoring those who dedicated their lives to service.

DaVinci’s Adrian Maxson Service Day of Remembrance will be at the Ogden Nature Center from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. They expect 15 to 20 volunteers throughout the day.

“We try to partner with different community organizations every year,” Martinez said. WSU has partnered with the Ogden City Cemetery this year. Ogden City has asked for 20 to 25 volunteers per shift from 8 a.m. to noon and from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

“We ask for at least 2 hours of time,” noted Martinez. However, if you are able to stay through both shifts, free lunch is provided.

For volunteers, the morning of Oct. 10, go to The Center for Diversity and Unity at 7:30 a.m. for information, instructions and explanations on how to record service hours. All volunteers will also receive a free homecoming t-shirt.

For more information about the scholarships or service events go to the CCEL page on www.weber.edu or go to the homecoming list of activities on WSU’s website.