Sports Brief 3-1-2017

Wildcat softball has success at Santa Clara Invitational

UDFWSVVCUORGIKQ.20160423195237.jpg
The ’Cats knocked it out of the park at the Santa Clara Invitational. Photo credit: Weber State Athletics

This past weekend, the Weber State University softball team traveled to Santa Clara, California, where they participated in the Santa Clara Invitational.

The ’Cats were anticipating a long weekend at the beginning, knowing they would be playing five games in the three-day weekend.

Their first opponent of Feb. 24, University of Illinois at Chicago, was a great warm-up team to start the weekend off for the Wildcats, who won 4–0.

The next game, just hours after the ’Cats first, was against the event host, University of Santa Clara. The Wildcats had no problem controlling the home team, beating Santa Clara 9–0.

On Feb. 25, the team looked to do the same as the day before.

The first game of the Saturday was against a stronger opponent, South Dakota. The Wildcats defeated them for game three of the weekend, 6–4.

Saturday’s second matchup was against the Creighton Jays, from whom the Wildcats received their first loss of the weekend with a score of 9–6, kissing their weekend winning streak goodbye.

Weber State kept their heads held high going into the final day of the tournament with one additional matchup against the Santa Clara Broncos.

The game ended in a 4–0 victory for the Wildcats, who traveled home to Ogden with a 3–1 record for the weekend.

The Wildcats have another long five game weekend ahead of them in Boise, ID for the SpringHill Suites Invitational.

Men’s Tennis dominates first Big Sky Conference matchup

UPVJDROIDVJNTWI.20170226211659.jpg
Weber State University men's tennis finishes Big Sky Conference 6–1 overall. Photo credit: Weber State Athletics

Weber State men’s tennis team hosted the University of Northern Colorado on Feb. 26, which was the Wildcats’ first Big Sky Conference matchup of the season.

The match started with the doubles competition, where Wildcat doubles competitors won all three of their matches.

The wins earned Weber their first point of the day.

The remaining Wildcat points happened during the singles competition, where 5–6 Wildcats won their singles matches against tough Northern Colorado opponents.

Two notable Wildcat players from the singles competition were juniors Shao-Po Yin and Eddie Chen.

Yin only needed two sets with his opponent from the University of Northern Colorado to take the win. He defeated them with scores of 6–2 and 6–1.

Chen also sent his opponent packing after two sets as well, with scores of 7–5, 6–3.

At the end of the day, the Wildcats took the life out of the UNC Bears, winning the Sunday’s matchup by a score of 6–1.

The men’s tennis team is back on the court and looking for another big win this Friday, March 3, in Ogden at 11 p.m.

The Wildcats will be hosting the Santa Clara Broncos.