Pure, unadulterated karma

There is a moment that every Weber State University student dreads. It’s a moment of terror and pure agony. Weber State and parking mix just about as well as Kim Jong-un at a freedom festival.

The fact is, parking on campus is difficult. As Weber State students, we all know it and have come to terms with it. I’ve grown accustomed to calling drivers that stalk for parking spots “sharks” as if they are stalking their prey. I do it myself. As awkward as it is, it works.

IMG_2711.jpg
W lots on campus are never this empty during the semester. (Scott Stevens / The Signpost)

Now let me paint a picture for you. It’s a Tuesday morning, my class starts at 9 a.m. and I’ve just pulled into campus at 8:50 a.m. Am I going to find a spot? Not a chance.

I decide to stalk the W7 lot as it is closest to my work and classes. The W7 lot is square shaped. You enter from one corner, drive one way around the lot and then exit the way you came in. It’s a pretty simple concept.

In the Air Force, we have a term known as “that guy.” You never want to be “that guy.” He is usually the one that gets everyone in trouble for being stupid or makes ridiculous mistakes that leave any sensible person speechless.

As I waited for my spot to open up, I met “that guy.” In fact, he wasn’t a guy at all. It was a girl driving a blue Subaru. She, against all the logic and wisdom in this galaxy, chose to park her car in the driving space between the stalls, thus effectively stopping the flow of traffic around the lot. I watched her turn off her car, grab her backpack and leave towards the Browning Center.

I am a true believer in karma. In that second, I became the bringer of karma, the deliverer of justice. I called Parking Services. Justice was swift and satisfaction was achieved. Linda McKee and Matt Thompson from Parking Services arrived along with a campus police car.

“She’s definitely getting a ticket,” Thompson said as McKee printed out the label of justice that was destined to be placed under the Subaru’s windshield wiper.

The car was ticketed for not having a permit as well as disrupting traffic.

Although entertaining, this story acts as a lesson to Weber State students. Don’t be “that guy.” Yes, parking sucks. No, it’s not a problem that’s easily solved. If you want a parking garage at Weber State, just look into how much they cost. For the time being, we need to be patient.

Both Thompson and McKee from Parking Services talked about how difficult it can be to park and they urged students to be proactive and patient. I hate parking at Weber State, but what I despise more than that, and Justin Bieber, is “that guy.”