“New Love” offers new experience

Kickstarter is a fairly well-known site. Posts on the site go viral all the time, but have you ever wondered what would happen if you became famous because of your Kickstarter?

Allison Weiss gleaned a lot of attention when she turned to the site to raise money to record a studio album in 2009. She had previously released two other projects in 2007, but Kickstarter gave Weiss more popularity.

Since then, Weiss has released two more studio albums. Her latest work titled “New Love” was released in October 2015.

“I finally made a record that sounds like the music I listen to,” Weiss said on her Facebook page.

Weiss goes on to tell how she fell in love with pop music and strived to create something similar to what she loves listening to.

As someone who doesn’t listen to a ton of indie/pop music, listening to Weiss’ new album was a joy.

The album starts out slow and personal with Weiss’ voice and not much music, then gradually starts to build up with guitars, drums and bass growing louder by the end of the album. In “The Sound,” the build up leads to an abrupt end, leaving listeners yearning for more.

“Who We Are” immediately follows “The Sound” and takes a more cheerful tone. One thing I enjoyed about Weiss’ music is that the music doesn’t drown out the sound of her voice, letting listeners clearly hear her pleasant lyrics.

Weiss has a good mix of mellow and upbeat tracks on the album, making it something to listen to on all occasions. If you aren’t feeling energetic but still want to listen to something meaningful, “New Love” is a good album for you.

Another track that stood out to me is “Back to Me.” The guitar in the beginning has a surfer-rock feel, and the heavy tremolo provides great depth to the song, especially when the electronic beats of the keyboard ring in.

The 11-track album has a little something for everyone. As I mentioned, the sounds vary, and it provides a great experience for listeners. I give this album five stars because I don’t find myself looking for more. Weiss’ vocals paired with the electronic feel of the keyboard as well as other instruments blend together nicely. Similarly, the electronic sounds don’t drown out Weiss or other elements of the song.

If you like Allison Weiss, you’ll want to look up Jenny Owens Young, Bess Rogers and Field Mouse.