Wildcat men's lacrosse: Utah State scrimmage preview

3-27 lacrosse
Members of the WSU lacrosse team practice on campus earlier this spring. The Wildcats’ first scrimmage will be against Utah State University on Saturday.
(Photo by Scott Stevens)

It’s been almost one month since practices started on campus for the Weber State University men’s lacrosse team, and things are beginning to come together as they prepare for their first game against another team with a scrimmage against Utah State University on Saturday at 1 p.m. in Logan.

“It’s been very encouraging to see how well the new guys have been catching on,” said team captain Kyle Gorrell.

With the team’s first scrimmage this weekend, the Wildcats are focusing on the basics and are trying to keep things simple on the field as they prepare for their match against the Aggies. Sophomore defender Craig Potter reiterated the importance of focusing on the simple things as the team prepares for the game.

“We’ll just keep pounding at our team play and fundamentals and make sure everyone is on the same page come game time,” Potter said.

Making sure the team is unified on and off the field will be key against the more experienced Aggies, who are ranked 19th in Division II rankings. Although it may seem like the Wildcats have a tough road in front of them, one of the factors they have playing to their advantage is the knowledge and experience of their newly-acquired head coach Peter Stevenson. Stevenson brings with him nearly 20 years of lacrosse coaching experience, through youth leagues all the way up to Division I head coaching jobs.

“The predominant focus is finding ways to build team and individual talent before the games next week,” Stevenson said.

Both Gorrell and Potter expressed confidence in Stevenson, saying that his many years of coaching experience will be key for the team’s growth and development for years to come

“Coach Pete has been awesome in helping us get ready and projecting a really positive and enthusiastic attitude for this upcoming game and for the future of this team,” Potter said.

The Wildcats have three more scrimmages scheduled for this month after Saturday’s trip to Logan. On April 15 the team will face off against Utah Valley University in Orem, and on April 21 they play The University of Utah. The Wildcats will host their first match on April 25 when UVU travels to Ogden.