Eye on the ball: Lacrosse stays focused

The Weber State men’s lacrosse team took the field for their first game of both the 2017 season and as a member of the Rocky Mountain Lacrosse Conference.

The game was held on Feb. 25 at their home field, the Ogden Sports Complex, against the Montana State University Bobcats.

The Bobcats got off to a fast start scoring 20 unanswered goals in the first half. They dominated in all aspects of the game and took full advantage of their deep bench and the Wildcat’s exhausted
players.

The Wildcats made little progress in the second half. The snow began to fall on the field and Montana State showed no signs fatigue.

The Bobcats took down the Wildcats 30–1.

Weber State’s only goal came in the second half from sophomore attacker
Braxton Rogers, scoring his first of the
season.

This year, Weber State joined the Men’s Collegiate Lacrosse Association (MCLA) and will play in the Division II Rocky Mountain Lacrosse Conference.

“We are very excited for this year,” senior attacker Tyson Scott said. “In previous years, we have only been able to play scrimmages. Now, we are playing official college lacrosse games.”

Scott believes that this is a huge step for the program and that the team is moving in the right direction.

“We envision having a permanent and highly competitive program at Weber State,” club president Craig Potter said. “One that supports and receives support from the community and students. We as a team see the program continuing to progress.”

Potter believes that each year, the team will continue to become more and more established with more players, organization and eventually more games to compete in throughout the year.

He is also striving to bring a winning culture to the team.

Potter wants to see leadership from all players and continual improvement throughout the year.

Although the first game of the season against Montana State was a minor setback in what the team hopes to accomplish in the years to come, the Wildcats know it’s all part of the growing process. The ‘Cats are looking to keep a positive atmosphere and avoid any negativity that brings teams down.

“First thing is coming together because we haven’t spent a lot of time together,” Scott said. “We need to come together and start building trust. We also are focusing on playing strong through our games and not giving up, even though our numbers are low and it will be hard, we will not give up.”

The Weber State Lacrosse team is looking for players who are interested in
joining their organization. They encourage interested students to email the club president at [email protected].

The Wildcats will have the weekend off and look to improve on Mar. 10 as they take on the College of Idaho Coyotes (1-0) in Caldwell, Idaho.

This will be the only matchup of the season against the Coyotes, who beat the Wildcats last year in Ogden.