Late miscues sink WSU soccer on the road

Junior forward Stacy Blair fights for control of the ball in an exhibition match against Utah State earlier this season.  Blair picked up her first goal of the season on Friday, scoring in the 58th minute against Omaha in the Wildcats 3-1 win.  (Jamii Freston / The Signpost)
Junior forward Stacy Bair fights for control of the ball in an exhibition match against Utah State earlier this season. Bair scored the lone Wildcat goal in Friday’s 3-1 loss at Loyola Marymount.
(Jamii Freston / The Signpost)

During a late game in Los Angeles on Friday, late communication errors on defense led to the Weber State soccer team’s third consecutive loss. They fell to Loyola Marymount 3-1 at Sullivan Field.

The match was the first in a four-game road trip for the Wildcats, the first half of which is in California this weekend.

“The girls played well, they competed,” Weber State coach Tim Crompton said. “We just weren’t able to finish the game off the last 10 minutes.”

The Lions opened up their scoring account early when Cassidy Nicks scored a quick shot off of a rebound only eight minutes into the game. The Weber State soccer team was able to recollect themselves and put up a solid defense to close out the half only trailing 1-0.

The Wildcat defense held firm for more of the second half, and put forth one of their strongest showings of the season. In the 73rd minute of the game, the Wildcats equalized the the score at 1-1. Senior midfielder Ryley Hansen was able to find a hole in the Lions’ defense and passed the ball to junior forward Stacy Bair who lofted it over the goal keeper and into the back of the net. It was the third goal for Bair this season, and the second assist for Hansen.

The Wildcats attacked after the goal, and created a few dangerous opportunities with which to try for the winning shot. However it was the Lions that came out on top when a defensive miscue left Morgan Hilby wide open to take a one-on-one shot against WSU goalie Sydnie Stokes, which put them ahead 2-1 with only eight minutes left in regulation.

After a few more minutes of play, LMU extended its lead when Hilby again scored. This time it was off a header coming from an LMU corner kick, putting the Lions up 3-1 with five minutes left in the game.

The last goal proved to be enough, and the Wildcats fell to 3-5-0 on the season. This is the third consecutive loss for the Wildcats, who have hit a slump due to several players being injured.

The Wildcats move on to play Cal State Northridge on Sunday at 12 p.m.  The Cal State game marks the end of non-conference play for the Wildcats. Weber State will open up conference play on the road next weekend, making their first stop at Montana on Friday, before moving on to play Eastern Washington on the following Sunday.

The Wildcats’ next home game is on Oct. 3 against Northern Colorado.

Charles can be found @cbowkstar_91 or cheering like a fool at any Wildcats sporting event.