Original faculty-written production to premiere at WSU

In keeping with the Weber State University Theater Department’s theme of all-new productions for its 2013-14 performing year, the original play “Girl of Glass” will make its world debut at the Browning Center on Tuesday.

1602073_641795042543318_83978688_o
(Source: Telitha E. Lindquist College of Arts & Humanities) Kaylee Lloyd stars as florist Truly in “Girl Of Glass.”

The play centers around two characters: the delivery man Edgar, played by Tanner Rampton, and the shopkeeper Truly, played by Kaylee Lloyd.  

Edgar misreads a package address and is directed to a floral shop filled with glowing glass jars. At this floral shop he meets and falls in love with Truly the shopkeeper.  

Faculty member Jennifer Kokai wrote “Girl of Glass,” and WSU students have solely facilitated the production.

“’Girl of Glass’ is a show produced by students, performed by students, directed by students, designed by students, written by faculty,” said director Derek Williamson.

Williamson, a student at WSU, said many challenges come with doing an all-student production, but that the combined efforts of all the cast and crew make the play possible.

“The dedication that the students are putting forth is . . . tremendous,” Williamson said. “I’m humbled every single day at the work they’re putting in. Each and every one of them needs a three-day nap.”   

In addition to the challenges of having an all-student cast and crew, according to stage manager Lydia Pearce, doing a mystery-genre play adds more dimensions that those involved in production must address.

“We hope (the audience) understand the play, but they don’t figure it out too quickly,” Pearce said. “They need to discover things at the right times.”

Williamson said audience members won’t realize just how much they don’t know for quite a while. “It’s not even until the second act that you are aware of how much you don’t know . . .  There is so much to be revealed in the end.”

Tying into the mystery genre are the themes of time and life choices. “It’s about how the things you’ve done in your life are important to where you ended up as a person,” Williamson said.

“Girl of Glass” will premiere on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. and run through Feb. 8. Tickets are on sale now online at www.weberstatetickets.com or by phone at 801-626-8500.

“The show really makes me evaluate where I am and where I should be going in life,” said Berlin Schlegel, a student participating in “Girl of Glass.” “It’s about how the past defines you.”