Chugg takes sixth for women's golf team

The Weber State University women’s golf team saw a final-day rally and jumped three spots in the standings to finish ninth at the Entrada Classic in St. George, Utah, earlier this week.

Kelsey Chugg led WSU on the day, finishing with a one-under-par 71 on the final day. As a team, the Wildcats shot a third-round 304 which was 13 shots better than their previous low round for the tournament. On the final day, WSU jumped four spots to ninth place.

Chugg shot an opening-round score of 79, then came back with a second-round 74 and a final-round score of 71, which was the low round of the day. She finished the tournament tied for sixth place overall. It was Chugg’s third-straight top-six finish of the spring.

WSU finished with another player in the top 20 of the tournament. Amanda Snyder finished in 19th, with rounds of 80, 77 and 74.

The University of Wisconsin won the team title with a three-round total of 888. The University of Minnesota finished in second place, and the University of Nevada rounded out the top three.

Also competing for WSU were Sarah Fedrico, who tied for 53rd place; Kristie Jensen, who finished 70th; and Alli Cluff, who came in 77th. Carly Oldroyd competed in the tournament as an individual for WSU and shot a total 242 to finish in 55th place overall.

WSU will have a few weeks on break before returning to action in early April at the Wyoming Cowgirl Invitational, the final tournament of the year before the Big Sky Conference Championships, which will begin on April 21 in Chandler, Ariz.