Football kicks off spring practice

The Weber State University football team kicked off spring practices last week at the Stewart Stadium. The Wildcats went through various drills, including tackle drills, offensive scrimmage and field goal practice.

The Wildcats went 2-9 last season under first-year head coach Jody Sears. Now in his second season, he looks to improve both offensively and defensively.

“That’s where our priorities are,” Sears said. “Offensively, we’ve got to be consistent, run the football and do a better job in the passing game. Defensively, we’ve got to do a better job on defending the deep balls. We gave up too many big plays last year that just killed us. Defense kept us in a lot of ball games, but wasn’t good enough.”

To start, the Wildcats have a new offensive coordinator, Robin Pflugrad, a former head coach at the University of Montana. The Wildcats will be relying more on the no-huddle offense.

“Last year we were a good bit no-huddle,” Sears said, “and this year we will be primarily no-huddle.”

The Wildcats will also have a new quarterback under center with the loss of Mike Hoke. Sears said he is very optimistic about his quarterback situation, but hasn’t officially named a starter yet.

“Right now, Jordan Adamczyk, who was the backup for the last two years, on paper he probably has the inside track. We got Alfonso Medina in here from Santa Monica Junior College, who is doing a real nice job. And then we got two young guys, Ben Maraz and Jadrian Clark, who I really like what I’ve seen from the first three practices. But come back in a few weeks and I’ll maybe have a little update for you.”

Sears said he has high hopes for his team, but doesn’t want to get too far ahead of himself.

“Right now, we can’t think too much about the season,” he said. “The season is now. And the season right now, the priorities are first, getting our new offensive coordinator familiar with the team, the players getting familiar with him.”

Sears said he is also a firm believer in being a student athlete.

“We got to raise that level of excellence and consistency in our play, in our daily life, whether it’s our study table, how we’re acting in the cafeteria, practice, the weight room. Everything is encompassing of teaching these kids and getting them to perform at a consistent level. That’s where our priority is. If we take care of our daily routines, our daily business and heightening the awareness, attention to the details and our fundamentals and everything we do, in the fall, everything will carry over into the season, and hopefully our byproduct will be wins. That’s the only way I know how to do it.”

Above all, consistent effort is what Sears said he wants from his players.

“I’m not a ‘sometimes’ guy. I don’t think you can be a ‘sometimes’ champion, every now and then, and expect to be a champion. It doesn’t work like that.”

The Wildcats will continue spring practices through the next four weeks. They practice every Tuesday and Thursday morning from 6-8 a.m. and Saturdays at 9 a.m. The annual Purple and White Game will be held on April 13 at 6 p.m.