WSU soccer splits road games

The Weber State University women’s soccer team split two road games over the weekend. The Wildcats got a win against California State University, Sacramento on Friday, then fell to Portland State University on Sunday.

On Friday night, the

Wildcats faced off against CSUS and earned their third consecutive shutout win of the season, coming away with a 2-0 win. Ari Aki and Felicia Sortor found the net for WSU. It was the Wildcats’ fourth win of the conference season and their first three-game winning streak since 2009.

It was both Aki’s and Sortor’s first goal of the season. The Hornets outshot WSU in the match, but the Wildcats were the more accurate team, putting six of their 11 shot attempts on target.

On Sunday, WSU looked to extend its winning streak against the Vikings, but fell 1-0 in Portland. The goal, scored in the 83rd minute by PSU’s Amanda Howie, was the first goal scored on WSU in 403 minutes of play.

WSU played much of the second half a player down after Mackenzie Harrison was sent off after being shown a red card. Before Harrison was sent off, the match was close, with the Vikings holding a slight 10-7 shot advantage. Following the ejection, PSU commanded play, finishing with a 20-9 shot advantage.

Now WSU will return home and face the University of North Dakota on Thursday afternoon, then the Wildcats will wrap the regular season up on Saturday with a match against the University of Northern Colorado.

PSU is on top of the conference, while the Wildcats are sitting in fifth place. UND is ranked in last place in the conference, while UNC is in second place in the Big Sky. The conference playoffs will be Nov. 1-4.

var $mediaCredit = {
‘separator’: ‘ | ‘,
‘organization’: ‘The Signpost’,
‘id’:
{

}
};