2024 College Football National Championship

Michigan defensive back Will Johnson intercepts the pass to Washington running back Tybo Rogers at the start of the second half as the Michigan Wolverines play the Washington Huskies in the CFP National Championship Monday, January 8, 2024 at NRG Stadium in Houston.

The University of Michigan Wolverines, ranked No. 1, dominated the College Football National Championship on Jan. 8 at the NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas, against No. 2 ranked University of Washington. The final score was 34–13, making this Michigan’s first title victory since 1997.
Michigan finished the season with 15–0 and handed Washington their first loss of the season.
The week prior to the championships, Michigan secured an overtime victory over No. 4 ranked University of Alabama with a score of 27–20 in the Rose Bowl game, earning them a spot in the National Championship.
Washington came into the game looking for their first National Championship since 1991. On New Year’s Day, they topped No. 3 ranked University of Texas with a final score of 37–13 in the Allstate Sugar Bowl, securing a spot in the National Championship.
During the National Championship, Michigan swiftly took control with an early lead and maintained their control of the game, securing their 12th National Championship in history. Washington was still able to stay close behind, though, keeping everyone on their toes.
In the first quarter, Michigan started the game with back-to-back rushing touchdowns from Donovan Edwards. Washington ended the first quarter with a field goal and once the second quarter came around, Michael Penix Jr. found Jalen McMillan on a fourth-and-goal with 42 seconds left of the first half with a score of 17–10.
In the second quarter, Michigan scored a field goal while Washington came back and scored seven points.
Starting the second half, Will Johnson, with Michigan, intercepted Penix on the first play giving Michigan a two-touchdown lead and Washington forced another field goal making the score 20–10.
Washington got a 14-yard reception from Devin Culp, the drive finished with a 45-yard field goal from Gady Gross. In the third quarter, both teams scored three points.
Once the fourth quarter came around, Washington could not keep up. Michigan scored 14 points and Washington had zero points. Michigan was leading 20–13. In just five plays, Michigan drove 71 yards to break open the game and Mike Sainstril had an 81-yard interception that set the final score with less than five minutes to play. Making the score 34–13.
Michigan totaled 443 yards, 140 passing yards, 303 rushing yards and 7.8 yards per play. Washington on the other hand, totaled 301 yards, 255 passing yards, 46 rushing yards and 4.2 yards per pass.
Michigan had some outstanding performances. Running for a total of 134 yards and two touchdowns, Blake Corum showcased an impressive execution, while Donovan Edwards added 104 rushing yards and two touchdowns.
On Washington’s end, Penix finished 27 for 51 for 255 yards and a touchdown. McMillan had 6 receptions, 33 yards and averaged 5.5 yards a catch and a touchdown.
Next up for the University of Washington football is our very own Weber State Wildcats on Aug. 31 later this year.