Two “W’s” for WSU hockey

Wildcats celebrate after forward Cole VanOrman’s goal in overtime to win the game. Weber State University’s hockey team beat Utah State University 2–1 on Feb. 17, 2023 at the Ice Sheet.

The Weber State University hockey team started their 2023/24 season with back-to-back home victories against the University of Utah and Utah State University on Sept. 15 and 16.

The first game against the University of Utah on Sept. 15 ended in a 4–0 victory for the Wildcats, with all four of the Wildcats’ goals scored in the second period. Jacobi Clark scored first for Weber State 40 seconds into the second period, Luke Artukovich scored second with 14:34 remaining on the clock, Nick Nemechek scored third with 12:05 left and Kevin Norwood secured the fourth and final goal for the Wildcats with 5:37 remaining in the second frame.

Weber State goalie Trey Hirschfield had a total of 21 saves against the Utes with six saves in the first period, eight in the second and seven in the third. Utes’ goalie Jack Nouicki had a total of 33 saves with 13 in the first period, 12 in the second and eight in the third.

On Sept. 16, Weber State faced off against Utah State University, walking away with a 3–2 win.

Andrew Alonso scored the first two goals for the Wildcats; Alonso scored his first collegiate goal for Weber with 11 seconds remaining in the first period. Alonso secured his second goal with a deep slapshot three minutes into the second period.

“They’re a great team and we had a sloppy first period, to get that goal in the beginning of the first and secure that second goal in the beginning of the second was huge. They’re fast and physical so the fact that we came out on top with all the adversity we faced tonight was huge,” Andrew Alonso said.

Cole VanOrman scored the third goal for the Wildcats with 12:14 remaining in the second period. The Wildcats had a three-goal lead over the Aggies with a period and a half left to go.

The Aggies were able to cut into the Wildcats lead, George Kuehn scored the first goal for the Aggies with 10:55 remaining in the second period. Dixon Hale scored the second and final goal for the Aggies in the first three minutes in the third period. The Wildcats were able to hold off the Aggies from equalizing the game.

“For us it was really good for us to get that game against Utah and to get our feet under us and I think it helped us get through this game and get the ‘W,’ they’re a great team and that’s what we strive to be,” Coach Yosh Ryujin said.

Weber State goalie Owen Yancey had a total of 49 saves this game with 21 crucial saves in the third period alone.

Weber State hockey will be traveling to Utah Valley University for their first away game this season on Sept. 23. The puck will drop at 7:15 p.m.