Renewed resources: LGBT Resource and Women’s Centers

The front desk of the Women’s Center and the LGBT Resource Center.

On the third floor of the Shepherd Union building at Weber State University, students can find both the LGBT Resource Center and the Women’s Center in room 323.

LGBT Resource Center

Over the summer, Jessica Fisher started her new role at WSU as program coordinator for the LGBT Resource Center.

“We’re very excited about the things we are going to do this year,” Fisher said.

Students can expect the LGBT Resource Center to hold events at Weber State University at least once a month for the fall semester.

Although the dates have not been set for September, the center is planning on teaching students about self care through events that will take place some week in September, according to Fisher.

For LGBT History Month in October, a week of events called Weber State Pride will take place from Oct. 9 to 13.

From Nov. 13 to 17, students can participate in events held to celebrate Transgender Awareness Week.

Scholarships are also available for students through the LGBT Resource Center. Students can currently find a list for scholarships at the center’s website by clicking on the “scholarships” tab at the top of the webpage, according to Fisher.

Fisher said students shouldn’t be afraid to visit the LGBT Resource Center, and she has an office there to help. Fisher also plans to be active across campus and to get more programs out for students.

Women’s Center

The WSU Women’s Center provides gender equity education for students through a series of events held in the fall and spring semesters.

Events hosted by the Women’s Center include awareness events around Domestic Violence Awareness Month, Sexual Assault Awareness Month and Women’s History Month.

Sister Circles will be held once a month. Students can expect to learn about topics of gender equity at these events, according to Paige Davies, director of the Women’s Center. The first Sister Circle will be held on Sept. 27 from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. This event will focus on self esteem, self love and self care. There will be an open house event held on Sept. 19 from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

The Women’s Center also has a Safe at Weber program, which provides prevention education around healthy relationships, consent and bystander intervention through online training workshops located on their website, according to Davies.

“The Women’s Center provides confidential victim services to survivors of sexual misconduct, so things like sexual assault, rape, domestic violence, dating violence and stalking,” Davies said. “We are able to help students and employees safety plan, talk about local resources, if they want to report to law enforcement or the university. Really just help them get connected to healing and safety resources.”

While the Women’s Center has many programs in place to help students in a crisis, students don’t have to be in an emergency to use the resources available at the center.

“With our events like the Sister Circle and the open house, we want to see students here and talking about social justice issues and gender equity issues,” Davies said. “We have snacks, we have our resource pantry with free menstrual products and safer sex supplies, and we really want to be a source of community and support to students.”

The Women’s Center also has scholarships available to students. Those who are interested in these scholarships can ask the receptionist at the front desk of the Women’s Center for more information.