The Student News Site of Weber State University

The Signpost

The Signpost

The Signpost

The Signpost

Latest YouTube Video

WSU ends the season right

Portland State University had no idea what happened to them as C.J. Tuckett blazed past them with 212 yards and five touchdowns in the last Wildcat game of the season.

Tuckett led Weber State University’s football team to its final victory, with a 48-33 win over the Vikings.

“Days like this, you wish you never retire,” said Head Coach Ron McBride. “This is what I’ve been hoping all season, what this team would become.”

Cornerback Robbie Diamond also said the team performed well and finally reached the position it should have earlier in the season.

“We played together as a team,” Diamond said. “We executed when we needed to and came out resisting.”

Early in the first quarter, WSU kept PSU on their toes by running a no-huddle offense, which resulted in 53-yard touchdown by Tuckett off a fourth down. After a three and out by PSU, quarterback Mike Hoke threw an interception.

PSU capitalized on Hoke’s turnover and quickly scored on a three-play drive, tying that game at seven early in the first quarter. PSU then scored a 38-yard field goal to take the lead. Immediately following their score, the Vikings tried an onside kick, which the Wildcats recovered on the Viking 40-yard line.

In PSU’s territory, Hoke found Shaydon Kehano with two big plays to get the Wildcats within the 10-yard as a score. Kehano caught the ball in the back end of the endzone and brought the score 13-10 with 44 seconds left in the first quarter.

PSU started the second quarter off strong by tying the game with another field goal. By the middle of the second quarter, Tuckett had already earned 82 rushing yards. He finished the first yard with more than 100 yards. Hoke then scored on a quarterback sneak, making the score 20-13 and taking the lead for the third time.

In response to Hoke’s sneak, the Vikings scored on their first play from the line of scrimmage, tying the game again at 20-20. Nick Webb blocked a punt and recovered it on the one-yard line. Hoke put the ball in Tuckett’s hand and barreled in for a touchdown. Tuckett ended the first half with a 27-20 score.

The second half showed much less intensity. However, on PSU’s first drive, it scored to tie the game at 27. The rest of the third quarter went scoreless.

With eight minutes left in the fourth quarter, PSU made a drive that resulted in a field goal. PSU took the lead with a score of 30-27.

Tuckett then scored back-to-back touchdowns — the first after a 43-yard run up field and the second when he capitalized on an interception caught by WSU’s Anthony Morales. Quickly after that, with two minutes remaining, Tuckett scored another touchdown, making the final score of the game 48-33.

Tuckett ended the game with 212 yards and 35 points. Tuckett alone could have beat PSU.

“C.J. Tuckett is a beast, point-blank, period,” Diamond said. “He runs hard in practice, in games and when you need him to. If we need something to get done, we can count on him.”

The Wildcats finished off the season with a 2-0 winning streak. McBride said that was a great way to end the season.

“It was a great day to be a Weber State football coach and player,” McBride said. “I can say the kids played as hard as they possibly could play.”

Leave a Comment
More to Discover

Comments (0)

Comments written below are solely the opinions of the author and does not reflect The Signpost staff or its affiliates.
All The Signpost Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *