Weber State Symphony Orchestra and Choirs Holiday Concert

(Christina Huerta/ The Signpost)
The 30th annual Weber State Symphony Orchestra and Choirs Holiday Concert will be held on Sunday, Dec. 6 at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Ogden. (Christina Huerta/ The Signpost)

The 30th annual Weber State Symphony Orchestra and Choirs Holiday Concert will be held on Sunday, Dec. 6 at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Ogden.

The Holiday Concert is the only performance of the year in which WSU’s Symphony Orchestra, Concert Choir and Chamber Choir perform together.

Dr. Mark Henderson, WSU director of choral studies, said the idea for the Holiday Concert started back in 1985 when he first started teaching at Weber State. The idea was to have a community performance which included the choirs and the orchestra.

“Weber State is the cultural hub of the community,” said Henderson. “This is the way we come into the community and begin the holiday season.”

Henderson believes the concert has lasted for 30 years because it has become a holiday tradition not only for Weber State but also for the community of Ogden.

To prepare for the concert, the Chamber Choir rehearses five times per week with dress rehearsals in the church to adjust to the architectural acoustics.

“The architectural structure at St. Joseph is just amazing,” said Emma Steuart, president of the Chamber Choir. “The acoustics in there are like, second to none and so it’s a real pleasure to sing in.”

In celebration of its 30th year, the Holiday Concert has invited WSU choir alumni to participate in a portion of the performance. The music selected for the concert is a collection of the greatest hits that have been performed at the Holiday Concert over the past 30 years so that the alumni will be able to participate.

The major piece prepared for the choir and orchestra will be Vivaldi’s “Gloria.” Other highlighted pieces include the original “Silent Night” (“Stille Nacht”) by Franz Gruber, sung in German, and an Estonian piece titled “Northern Lights” harmonized with hand bells and crystal water glasses.

“This show really incorporates a bunch of favorite Christmas music and creates an atmosphere for the season,” said Chelsey Rodemack, Concert Choir president.

There will be a 5:30 p.m. show and an 8 p.m. show. Admission is $6. St Joseph Catholic Church is located at 514 24th Street in Ogden.