3 reasons to look for a summer internship

(Source: Tribune News Services)
(Source: Tribune News Services)

Believe it or not, the spring semester is nearing its end. There’s little more than a month left to finish up our classes and final projects. Now is the time to start making summer plans.

Will you be taking classes or traveling? Will you be working through the summer to save up for the next academic year, or are you simply planning to enjoy a break from tests and homework?

One of the best things you can do for yourself this summer (besides getting some much-needed sunshine) is completing an internship. Why? Because it’s one of the best ways to secure your post-graduate future.

1. You get to test drive your job: Internships give you an opportunity to explore your desired career field on a temporary basis. We like to test drive cars before we purchase them, right? Why not spend a couple months trying out your dream job in the real world before you devote all of your time and energy to gaining employment in that field? That way you’ll be able to make an informed decision about what you really want to do with your college degree.
  2. You are more likely to find employment after graduation: According to a study performed at Southwestern University, college students who completed internships are 13 percent more likely to obtain full-time work after graduation. It’s not news that a bachelor’s degree is becoming the new baseline requirement; increasingly, just having a college degree will not guarantee you a job in your desired field. An internship is a great way to set yourself apart from the competition. It shows that you have the fortitude to complete a four-year degree, and you are capable of performing in a real-world setting.
  3. You can get your foot in the door: Many companies hire from their internship pool. The prevalence of internships offers employers a new way to weed out undesirable candidates. Why settle for selecting a new employee after a 10-minute interview when you can hire from the intern pool? On the flip side, if you want to get a job with a specific company, the best way to secure your position is to complete an internship with them. It gives you a unique opportunity to learn the in’s and out’s of the company while proving that you are worth hiring.

For more information on internships near you, talk to your department adviser or Weber State University career services.