WSU volleyball coach resigns after four seasons

Volleyball head coach Tom Peterson looks on from the sidelines during a match. Peterson is entering his fourth season as head coach.  (Source: Weber State Athletics)
Volleyball head coach Tom Peterson looks on from the sidelines during a match. Peterson resigned Tuesday after four seasons with the team.
(Source: Weber State Athletics)

The Weber State Athletics Department announced Tuesday afternoon that volleyball head coach Tom Peterson has resigned from his position effective immediately.

“I want to thank everyone for the opportunity to coach some great young people here at Weber State University,” Peterson said. “I hope my staff and I have helped to develop some good and enduring life skills for our players.”

Peterson became the ninth head coach for the volleyball team in January 2011, when he replaced former coach Al Givens who resigned in 2010 after 19 seasons with the Wildcats.

“I want to thank the fans for their continual support through thick and thin,” Peterson said. “Weber State fans are the best anywhere.”

The Wildcats finished this season with a 7-24 record (3-13 conference), and lost 10 of their final 11 games. In four seasons with the team, Peterson had a 28-98 record.

“I want to thank Tom for his time coaching at Weber State and wish him nothing but the best in the future,” said Weber State Athletics Director Jerry Bovee.

A search for the next head coach will begin immediately, according to the release.