COAST, College of Science hold reunion for alumni

Weber State University’s College of Applied Science and Technology and the College of Science teamed up to hold an alumni reunion on Saturday. Alumni were invited to come and reconnect with faculty and current students over dinner and family-friendly games and demonstrations. Events took place west of the Science Lab in the A4 and A5 parking lots.

“This is the first year we have had a COAST event like this at Weber,” said Kelly Ann Stackarak, development director of COAST. “We sent out over 12,000 invitations.”

Activities of the night were a COAST and College of Science tailgate dinner, Radio Disney’s “Phineas and Ferb’s Rocking Road Show” with Disney and Wildcat prize drawings, and demonstrations from the science and technology departments.

Jason Riely, WSU class of 2001 in technical sales and automotive technology, attended the reunion with his wife and three children.

“The family-oriented stuff drew us out,” Riely said. “We wanted the kids to come out and see what was out here.”

Radio Disney drew children and had them chanting and clapping to Wildcat cheers.

“I love Phineas and Ferb!” said Bailey Cameron, a 5-year-old from Ogden. “I like the dancing, and singing, and the cheering.”

Cameron attended with her mother, who graduated last year in mechanical engineering.

The computer science department showed off computer games built by current and former students.

“We are here to show people we aren’t complete introverts,” said Jake Stokes, a senior in computer science.

A mobile element power plant that used wind and solar power powered the computers and also popped popcorn for the guests. The MEEP was built by engineering and science students at WSU.

One demonstration flew high above the others. The High-Altitude Reconnaissance Balloon for Outreach and Research made an appearance, floating high above the events.

“I came out to see HARBOR and the demonstrations,” said Kathy Bowell, a former WSU student.

Shane York, a WSU senior in physics, helped prepare the latex balloon by filling it with helium. HARBOR is designed to float into the atmosphere and take samples of the air. The giant balloon was built at WSU and is used and maintained by current students.

“We are flying science,” York said. “The balloon takes dust samples that we can use to study effects on the climate.”

Following the reunion activities, alumni were encouraged to show their Wildcat spirit and stay for the Homecoming Game.

“We love being at Weber State,” said Lynn McMillin, WSU class of 1990 in manufacturing engineering. “We love everything Weber State.”

McMillin said he enjoyed life at WSU and that he and his wife attend as many WSU events as they can.

“I’ll always remember the professors,” McMillin said. “You could always go and talk to them about anything.”

More information about the WSU Alumni Association and events is available at www.alumni.weber.edu or 801-626-7535.

“We wanted to have a fun event to showcase how fun and accessible science is,” said Lisa Largent, development director at WSU.