Art auction to fund scholarships

More nontraditional students will receive a Rising Star Scholarship next year with funding from proceeds that will be generated from a silent art auction today.

Weber State University community members are invited to attend the Artists’ Reception and Silent Auction of WSU Art today in the Shepherd Union Gallery from 4-9 p.m. The gallery features the artwork of Kathryn Lindquist, a WSU Board of Trustees member, her sister Laurie Lindquist Babills, and other art contributed by WSU staff and faculty.

Debbie Cragun, coordinator of the Nontraditional Student Center, said she was touched when she found out the proceeds would benefit the Rising Star Scholarship.

“Our highest amount of applicants was 35 one year, and we have enough to award one full scholarship and maybe a partial,” Cragun said. “But on average, there are 20 or 25 people we have to turn away and that all have the same story.”

Cragun said to receive the scholarship, students must have a 3.0 GPA and least 24 completed credit hours earned from any college or university. Students must also “be on the path to career goals” and must have to overcome financial barriers to attend school.

“Preference is given to single women and single parents,” Cragun said.

Nikki Nicholas, coordinator for Shepherd Union programs, said she got to know Lindquist in the Putting Students Through program.

“As the gallery director, I’m always looking to do a show for our opening show at the start of school that’s related to Weber State,” Nicholas said, “and the Lindquists have so many ties to this school, it seemed perfect.”

Nicholas said the sisters were both nontraditional students and passionate about funding scholarships for similar students.

For more information about the Rising Star Scholarship, students and interested parties can visit the Nontraditional Student Center in the Shepherd Union Building.