Innovative dining experience opens in Wildcat Village

Weber State University students can now use a dining service located in Stewart Wasatch Hall that is unlike any other in the state. The Food On Demand restaurant is the latest addition to the residential complex and offers an innovative dining experience with touchscreen kiosks to order food.

“We are trying to become more like other universities that have a resident dining facility,” said Tyson Skeen, student promotions coordinator for Sodexo. “FOD allows Weber State University to have a resident dining facility in a smaller campus environment.”

FOD technology also offers text-message alerts when food is ready. Order numbers appear on the flatscreen TVs in the main dining area.

John Chamberlain, a senior, was helping other students move in when he received a sample of food from the new restaurant.

“We tried the Thai chicken pizza,” Chamberlain said. “(There was) no wait time, really.”

Students taking their meals in the FOD dining room will be enjoying restaurant-quality food, not cafeteria or fast food. With a maximum wait time of 10 minutes, quality isn’t sacrificed for the time clock.

“It was really efficient,” said Preston Surrage, an alumnus of WSU.

The FOD restaurant offers customizing features on its menu. Each menu item can be tailor-made to suit students’ taste buds and needs at no additional charge. The touchscreen kiosks include complete descriptions with allergen and nutrition information. Vegetarian and even some vegan options are always available, since the food is fresh and completely made to order. Once students swipe their Wildcards or credit cards, they are charged for the meal and can always get back in line for dessert or ala carte items.

“If we are out of an item, we have the convenience of changing and replacing items,” Skeen said. “There will be other things that take its place.”

Students living in the dorms are required to obtain a meal plan. While the FOD restaurant is only open for dinner and late nights during the week, students are encouraged to utilize other, closer dining options on campus in the Shepherd Union Building.

“On the weekends, Saturday and Sunday, we are doing a brunch with lunch and breakfast options as well as dinner and late night,” Skeen said.

The area provides more than just fresh meals for hungry students. The location has overflow dining and a study area on the third floor where Wildcats can hang out and meet other students.

“It seems like a nice place to eat, chill, hang out with friends,” Chamberlain said. “Lots of studying room.”