Weber State women's golf dominating at the right time

The Weber State University women’s golf team took first place in both of its tournaments last week.

The five scores the Wildcat women recorded last Thursday at the Ogden Golf and Country Club were better than each of their counterparts at Idaho State University, which ultimately led them to victory  by 40 strokes. The total score was 305-345.

Coach Jeff Smith was very pleased with his players’ performances.

“We had some really good rounds out there today,” Smith said. “This was a good chance to get some competitive golf in with the conference tournament coming up.”

Kelsey Chugg led all WSU golfers by shooting 72, which is an even par. Courtney Smith was in close second place with a 76.

Chugg said she was also pleased with WSU’s scorecard.

“We went into our match with a lot of confidence,” Chugg said. “We all struck the ball really well, and the putts were falling, which made for a great afternoon of golf.”

Shortly after their match at the Ogden Golf and Country Club, the Wildcats headed to Chandler, Ariz. to play at the Ocotillo Golf Club on Saturday in a one-day tournament against a trio of Big Sky opponents.

The Wildcat women continued their dominance in Arizona, beating Northern Arizona University, Montana State University and ISU for first place.

The Wildcats shot a 304, edging NAU by eight strokes (312) with the help of a couple 73s from Jordan Ulibarri and Chugg. Ali Cluff was the third Wildcat to shoot in the 70s with a round of 78. Amanda Snyder and Sara Federico helped WSU’s scorecard with an 80 and 85, respectively. MSU shot a 319 while ISU was in a distant fourth place at 338.

NAU’s Susan Mejia took first place in the event but played as an individual and was not part of the team’s five recorded scorers. Kaitlin Parsons from NAU tied both Ulibarri and Chugg at one-over-par (73) for top-recorded scoring honors.

Ulibarri said she is hopeful that WSU’s great play will continue in Arizona.

“We are starting to shoot low consistently,” Ulibarri said. “I hope that we will continue to pull together and score low. It’s been a lot of fun winning the last couple matches. Our last two tournaments are here at Ocotillo, and we’re feeling pretty confident on this course right now.”

The Wildcat women will look to make three first place finishes in a row at the Wyoming Cowgirl Classic at the Ocotillo Golf Club this week. After the Cowgirl Classic, the Wildcats will compete for the Big Sky Conference Championship back at the same course on Sunday, April 22 to Tuesday, April 24.