Sports Brief

Spirit Squad

The Weber State University Spirit Squad captured a title at the USA All-Star & Collegiate Cheer and Dance Championships last weekend in Anaheim, Calif.

The Wildcats won first place in the Large Co-Ed Cheer Division by defeating New Mexico State University and Colorado Mesa University. WSU had one of the highest point totals of the 70 schools in any division at the competition.

Jordan West and Jessica Salazar finished fourth in the individual dance and partner stunt divisions. Riley Palmer and Torie Van Orden came in fifth, and Tyrel Bailey and Tasha Petroff took sixth. The team finished in a tie for seventh place in the Open Dance Division.

Men’s Golf

The Wildcats competed in the Jacrabbit Invitational at South Dakota State University over spring break and took eighth out of 15 teams. Jordan Herzog led the team, shooting rounds of 70,71 and 75 for an even par and a tie for 11th in the individual standings. Herzog, Ty Travis, Alex Sutton and Michael Johnson filled out the Wildcat line up.

This past week the Wildcats competed in the Bandon Dunes Invitation hosted by Gonzaga University. WSU placed last in the tournament. WSU was led by Jeff Jones, who shot rounds of 75, 77 and 76. He tied 49th overall in the individual standings.

Herzog shot 233 to tie for 63rd, Sutton shot 236 to tie for 72nd, Travis shot 240 to tied for 76th, and Johnson shot 245 for a tie in 82nd place.