Falling for mechanical engineering

A machine visible in a classroom in the Noorda Engineering building.

A mechanical engineering fall social was hosted in the Noorda Engineering, Applied Science and Technology Building on Oct. 3, for engineering majors to learn about the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.

ASME is a worldwide club that offers a variety of benefits for its members, with additional benefits for participating in competitions.

Being a member of ASME can aid in getting scholarships and internship opportunities, as well as provide a space for study groups and student involvement. Membership can also help students improve their resume and is academically profitable.

Randy Hurd, associate dean and assistant professor of the mechanical engineering department, stayed to answer questions from students about mechanical engineering or ASME. Hurd and some other professors are willing to give extra credit for joining the club and offer full points on one assignment if one of his students participates in an ASME competition.

Maria Rios Cabrera, president of ASME and WSU senior, said the greatest benefit of joining ASME is the networking opportunities that become available.

“As a mechanical engineering major, it’s really hard to have any sort of network, especially because Weber State is a non-traditional school,” Rios said.

Rios also said that her participation in ASME has allowed her to network with professors and other members and has increased her involvement. CJ Pantle and Kyle Addison, both WSU juniors and mechanical engineering majors, also feel this way.

One way that ASME helps students gain a vast network is through competitions. These contests are often held at other universities and cover things like Ant Battle Bot competitions, pinewood derbies, pumpkin catapulting and water propulsion rockets.

Pantle said ASME is a great fit for mechanical engineering majors because of its low time commitment.

“It’s really relaxed,” Pantle said. “As mechanical engineers, we’re busy with all of our schoolwork, but there’s competitions to do and activities like this where we just hang out and eat.”