Swastika found on Davis Campus

Weber State University
The Stewart Center located at the Weber State Davis campus where the vandalism took place. Photo taken in May, 2020.

On Oct. 5, Weber State University was informed of a crossed-out swastika etched next to a Star of David found on a table on the Davis Campus.

After receiving knowledge of the etching, WSU sent an email out to students on Oct. 6, and the Weber State University Police Department began an investigation into who etched the symbols.

The marking was found on a table on the third floor of the Stewart Center, a little more than a week after another swastika was found in the Shepherd Union on WSU’s Ogden Campus. Currently, WSUPD does not have evidence to suggest that the two events were connected.

Jessica Oyler, WSU vice president for Student Access and Success, said that the campus police will continue to look into the etching.

This is the third example of discriminatory graffiti at WSU since June when the words “white power” were etched into an elevator in the Shepherd Union.

According to Fox News 13, on the morning of Oct. 8 multiple synagogues in the Salt Lake City area received bomb threats via email. SLCPD swept the buildings and found no evidence of any bombs.

In March, NPR reported that antisemitic crime in the United States is at an all-time high. Though the antisemitic crime statistics are not as high in Utah as they are in other places, these incidents are still troubling to the community.

Any other antisemitic or discriminatory graffiti found at WSU should be reported to WSU as soon as it is found. WSU has counseling and other resources available to students who are affected by these incidents.

“I do feel really good that students are reporting these things when they see them because that allows us to act quickly,” Oyler said. “And you know, that’s one of the things that we want to continue to work on is getting information out about how to report, but in terms of how long it was there, and we don’t have a whole lot of those details as of yet.”