Lighting and uniting: Weber lights the W

Candles lined up to be set in lanterns. (Karli Aki/ The Signpost)

Weber State University students and community members of all ages gathered underneath the bell tower on Oct. 3 to celebrate homecoming week with “Light the W.”

The celebration began at the Stewart Bell Tower Plaza outside of the Shepherd Union. The event took place from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and was packed with yard games, food trucks and crafts. Attendees could decorate a paper lantern and sunglasses to help “Light the W” and were able to scan a code to get free food from the food trucks.

WSU’s homecoming week is a yearly tradition. It is full of fun events that bring attention to both WSU and the upcoming football homecoming game against Eastern Washington University. WSU uses this week and its events in order to bring attention to the campus and to bring the community and the campus together.

The Ogden-based band “Imaginary Friendz” performed both covers and original songs at the event and incorporated pyrotechnics into their performance in order to stick to the “lighting the W” theme.

After 8 p.m., attendees were asked to gather around and watch the “W” light up after a quick countdown.

The event was held by the Weber State University Student Association in order to bring students and the community together for homecoming week. The events of homecoming week are part of the effort to make Ogden more of a college town.

Emily Sorenson, the VP of leadership for WSU, was the main person in charge of the event. She and other WSUSA members helped to create this event, hoping to benefit the students and the Ogden community.

“We really wanted to be able to bring together the community, as well as the campus to be able to celebrate homecoming week and do it by directing our attention to the “W” that will be lit up on the mountainside all week,” Sheldon Cheshire, coordinator for leadership programs for student involvement, said.

“Lighting the W” brought together Weber students and community members in a way that gave people of all ages something to do.