Unconventional sports for conventional students

Weber State University’s Field House building. (Kennedy Camarena/ The Signpost)

When thinking of sports at Weber State University, one might only think of the NCAA teams and club teams. However, there is a third group many students aren’t aware of: intramural sports.

Where NCAA teams and club teams are for students looking to compete at a higher level after college, intramural sports are meant for casual players. Multiple sports are involved in the program, allowing students and community members to select the games they wish to compete in.

The games are held on campus for both students and community members, according to competitive sports coordinator Josh Brooks.

“It’s a stress reliever,” Brooks said. “It’s one part of the day you don’t have to be in class, you don’t have to be studying, you don’t have to be in front of a computer.”

Intramural sports are meant for players of all skill levels. To sign up, competitors go to the website https://www.weber.edu/intramurals. There, players are able to register, look at a schedule and find a team.

Intramural teams are walk-on programs, meaning there are no tryouts required.

Varying skill levels brings varying amounts of competitiveness to each match, according to intramural athlete Seth Perkins.

“People are competitive as they want to be,” Perkins said. “A lot of teams we have will either be playing just for fun, or those guys that are trying to relive that big school experience.”

The first intramural sports held this semester will be four-on-four flag football and six-by-six indoor soccer. Those games will be played at the Marquardt Field House on Harrison Boulevard.

Flag football will take place from Sept. 12 to Oct. 18 while indoor soccer will take place from Sept. 14 to Oct. 20. Registration for these sports will open on the first day of fall semester, Aug. 29 and close on Sept. 8.

After flag football and indoor soccer, indoor volleyball and kickball games will be held at the Wildcat Arena courts.

The indoor kickball schedule starts on Nov. 1 and ends on Dec. 7, while the indoor volleyball schedule starts on Nov. 3 and ends on Dec. 8. Registration for these sports will open on Oct. 17 and close on Oct. 27.

According to Brooks, Weber State will offer four other intramural sports in the spring.

Although intramural sports are held to give players an opportunity to compete and relieve stress, many also come for the social benefits.

“It’s really fun,” Rachel Perry, a Weber State student, said. “You get to meet new people, you get to play sports in a semi-formal way.”

A $15 fee is required for Weber State students to register for intramural sports with a $20 fee for community members. Updated schedules for fall semester intramural matches have not been revealed.