WSU PR director retires after 30 years of service

Allison Barlow Hess, the public relations director for WSU, will retire after 30 years on April 29. A reception in her honor will be held at the Lindquist Alumni Center garden room on April 8 from 2-4 p.m.

Allison Barlow Hess, the public relations director for WSU, will retire after 30 years on April 29.
Allison Barlow Hess, the public relations director for WSU, will retire after 30 years on April 29. Photo credit: WSU

Hess started at WSU in 1992 as an adjunct professor after working at KSL-TV in Salt Lake City as a reporter. Five years later, Hess accepted a full-time faculty position and, in 2010, Hess took over as the PR director.

During her tenure at Weber, Hess received the H. Aldous Dixon Award. Since 1970, the Alumni Association has honored University faculty and staff with this award, named in memory of WSU’s President Dixon.

Dixon held this position from 1919-1920 and 1937-1953. Winners of the Dixon Award show excellence in their WSU careers while going above and beyond their job descriptions to support students.

Previously, Hess has been honored with the George and Beth Lowe Innovative Teaching Award, the Hemingway Vitality Award and the Presidential Outstanding Staff Award for exemplary service.