Outdoor Adventure and Welcome Center begins construction

10-8 Ground-breaking Outdoor Rec. & Welcome Center Robert Lewis (6 of 6).jpg
University President Brad Mortensen, sixth from the left, and university officials break ground for the new Outdoor Recreation and Welcome Center (Robert Lewis / The Signpost)

On Oct. 8, the Outdoor Adventure Center and many of Weber State University’s biggest supporters broke ground for the new Outdoor Adventure and Welcome Center. This groundbreaking is a big step for Weber and for the Ogden community.

Many people attended the ceremonial groundbreaking for the new Outdoor Adventure and Welcome Center. Assistant Director of Student Affairs Brett Perozzi said in his opening remarks that this facility embodies the spirit of WSU and the Ogden Community.

He stated that putting two parts in one building, the Outdoors and the Student Welcome aspect, brings together what Weber is trying to practice. All the aspects of a higher education university have to work together, and Perozzi stated that because we work so well together as a university, we can bring more learning to students; it’s all about the learning.

“The outdoor program, personally, has always been my passion for as long as I can remember,” Daniel Turner, the Outdoor Program assistant director and coordinator, said.

He personally feels like the right beacon has not been on Weber State, but that this new building is the best beacon to represent Weber State and Ogden, Utah. This beacon can be something that is unique to WSU.

While the Outdoor Adventure Center has a rich history and many years of experience under its belt, its mission has remained consistent. The mission is three fold: the first aspect is to promote the on and off campus recreation opportunities; second, to introduce students and faculty to the great outdoor opportunities available; and third, to offer these activities at a minimal fee.

“When I came to Weber State University in 2007, it has always been a vision to grow the Outdoor Program,” Turner said.

He also feels that combining the opportunity that students have to rent equipment and get involved in the outdoors can really enhance their student experience. Weber wants its students to be able to do incredible things while also pursuing their education.

Turner has personally witnessed students learn leadership skills and personal confidence by participating and even becoming a staff member with Outdoor Rec.

“Thinking back to the legacy of what the students did in 1922, when they did the first Mt. Ogden Hike to symbolize not only the connection with the outdoors, but climbing the mountain was big for the college then,” President of the University Brad Mortenson said, “It was big to symbolize that we had arrived and we were going to do big things.”

Mortenson went on to say that this mantra continues today and that the new facility is one of those big things. Students can learn to conquer their own personal challenges and learn technical skills just through participating in the outdoor program.

Outdoor Program Coordinator Hayley Prine said that this facility will not only help them to do their job more efficiently, but will provide resources to many students. She believes that not only is the Outdoor Adventure Building going to provide access for the community, but it will bring many, as of now, unseen opportunities in the future.