Community gathers for a Wildcat tradition

7-17 Lindquist Pop (Dalton Flandro) (14 of 38).jpg
The New American Philharmonic performs at the 38th Annual Lindquist Pops Concert on Sunday, July 17. (Dalton Flandro / The Signpost)

Beneath the fading sunlight and the stars of the night sky, the Weber State community, along with the Ogden community, celebrated the 37th Annual Lindquist Family Pops Concert and Fireworks Show.

“This is one of the great moments for Weber State and the community at large,” Provost Madonne Miner said of the event. “This concert, especially with all of the controversy that is happening in the world today, provides a moment where all people can come together and enjoy a moment of pride, a moment of real unity. A moment where they can be a community.”

For many families in attendance, the evening began at 6 p.m. as the grounds of WSU were opened to allow people to choose their ideal viewing spot for the festivities. Before the beginning of the musical portion of the program, attendees were able to wander about the various vendors who had set up shop around the duck pond to peddle their wares.

The main body of the program began at 9 p.m. with a musical program provided by the New American Symphony. Though there is a constant flow of new talent for the group, some of the artists have made this performance a tradition in their lives.

“I have been participating in this concert since our group began performing for the Lindquist family many years ago,” Lorinda Atwater, a musician with the symphony said of her time with the group. “I have always loved coming to this venue to perform and will continue to do so as long as I can keep playing.”

Atwater, like many of the musicians in the group, relish in the opportunity to perform in an open air venue.

“This is one of our favorite venues to play at,” Atwater said of the venue. “Though our program that we perform hasn’t changed much over the years, our musical ability has gotten better with the newer musicians. This really has become a program that viewers of all ages can enjoy, as well as feel a real sense of patriotism.”

The program ended with a 17 cannon salute and was followed by the fireworks portion of the night’s festivities. Through the thunder of the fireworks, the symphony continued to provide background music for the crowd to enjoy.

As with may different events on campus, the concert and fireworks is one of the many different traditions that becomes a part of the life of a Wildcat, but has also become a tradition for members of the surrounding community. One such family, the Andersens of the Ogden area, have made the concert one of their main events for the past 10 years.

“We enjoy this event as a family, and whether the kids bring their friends or it is just us, it has provided an opportunity for us to just enjoy our time together,” Paul and Kristi Andersen said of the event. “Not only have we grown closer, but for many of our kids, it has given them an opportunity to familiarize themselves with this campus. Right now, several of us are students, and with it we feel like Weber State has become part of our family heritage.”

For Provost Miner, that sentiment has been one that she feels will help define WSU to everyone in the surrounding community.

“This night, the campus is open to everyone,” Miner said of the festivities. “Everyone has a chance to come out and be a part of it. With all the children and grandchildren that participate, they to begin to feel a sense of pride and a sense of community. Someday in the future, who knows, they may walk on this campus as students themselves. When they do, the tradition and heritage they have built with WSU will help them know that they belong.”

7-17 Lindquist Pop (Dalton Flandro) (24 of 38).jpg
Fireworks illuminate the night sky after the 38th Annual Lindquist Pops Concert on Sunday, July 17. (Dalton Flandro / The Signpost)
7-17 Lindquist Pops (Joshua Wineholt) (1 of 15).jpg
Attendees finding their seats in preparation for the concert and fireworks. (Joshua Wineholt / The Signpost)
7-17 Lindquist Pop (Dalton Flandro) (2 of 38).jpg
Crowds gather at Weber State University's duck pond for the 38th Annual Lindquist Pops Concert on Sunday, July 17. (Dalton Flandro / The Signpost)
7-17 Lindquist Pops (Joshua Wineholt) (3 of 15).jpg
Community members passing the time before the start of the concert and fireworks show on July 17. (Joshua Wineholt / The Signpost)