What do you do with an English degree?

“What’s your major?” is a question college students hear almost daily. However, “What do you plan to do with that?” is a question heard less often.

Each major seems to have a stereotypical job that follows graduation. And I’m sure English majors everywhere can relate. “Oh, so you’re going to be a teacher?” is the most common response I’ve heard.

Not every one who pursues a degree in English plans to go on to teach it. Check out this list of awesome things you can do with an English degree.

Law:

Law firms everywhere need lawyers who know how to write and use proper grammar. With an English degree, you can go on to law school and become a strong attorney because of the things you learned when you were an undergraduate.

If you love reading and writing, you should look into a career with editing and publishing. (Sourced by: McClatchy Tribune)
If you love reading and writing, you should look into a career with editing and publishing. (Source: McClatchy Tribune)

Editing and Publishing:

You may love writing and reading, in which case, editing and publishing could be an awesome career choice for you. You could help other aspiring writers like yourself reach their full potential in contributing to the literary world.

Business and Marketing:

Many businesses need employees who can help write letters, speeches and advertisements that will wow an audience. If you have an English degree and an overflow of creative juices, you could definitely check out working with marketing firms.

English majors can work in politics. House Majority Whip Rep. James E. Clyburn (D-S.C.), center, with Glenn English, CEO of National Rural Electric Cooperative Association, left, Rep. Tom Perriello (D-Va.), second from left, Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), third from left, Rep. John Spratt (D-S.C.), second from right, and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), right, introduced bipartisan legislation to provide $4.9 billion in federal loans for rural power consumers to make their homes and businesses more energy efficient on Wednesday, March 10, 2010, in Washington, D.C. (Rod Lamkey Jr./MCT)
House Majority Whip Rep. James E. Clyburn (D-S.C.), center, with Glenn English, CEO of National Rural Electric Cooperative Association, left, Rep. Tom Perriello (D-Va.), second from left, Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), third from left, Rep. John Spratt (D-S.C.), second from right, and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), right, introduced bipartisan legislation. English majors can make a career in politics. (Rod Lamkey Jr./MCT)

Politics:

Much like in business, politicians need speech-writers and competent campaign managers. If you find politics fascinating, you should most definitely check out this career field.

“Find something you love, and you’ll never work a day in your life,” is a common goal for all of us. If you look hard enough, there is something in every degree that will help you achieve your dream job. You’ve just got too dig deep enough to find it.