Anthropology Club discusses the Greeks

(Photo by: Tyler Brown)
(Photo by Tyler Brown) An archaeology student cleans big sheep bones from a previous archaeological dig in eastern Idaho. These artifacts help the anthropology department discover new information about prehistoric Native American cultures.

To help kick off the Greek Festival, the anthropology and sociology departments held a lecture yesterday in the Social Sciences Building.

Rosemary Conover, chair of the sociology department and a professor at Weber State University, gave the lecture. Conover spoke to students about the importance of the Greek civilization, specifically about the Greeks being the first society to make coins from fine metals. Conover also explained the impact Greeks from thousands of years ago have on society today.

“We have this Greek Festival every year,” said Caril Jennings, former promoter of the performing arts program at WSU, who also spoke at the lecture. “Ever since the beginning, the Anthropology Club has been involved.”

Some students at WSU might not realize how big a role anthropology plays in America’s history; it is a key asset to the Greek Festival this week. Matt Bond, the president of the Anthropology Club, expressed his passion for what he is studying.

“For an activity we are going to the Hoogle Zoo to see the animals, but most of us are going to go to stare at all the monkeys,” Bond laughed before he presented Conover.

He said the Anthropology Club is always seeking out those interested in learning about different perspectives throughout the world, studying the scientific and humanistic parts of mankind and being a part of service projects.

“History is anthropology,” began Conover. “It is cultural, political, economical and technological. It begins with mythology, art, art history and geography to metals and metallurgy, geology and mining, forensics to numismatics. Anthropology is the Pandora’s box to anything you are interested in learning.”

Each anthropologist might study diverse topics; types of anthropologists include archaeologists, forensic scientists, linguists, museum curators, primatologists, writers, coroners, medical researchers and teachers.

Before the presentation, Bond said his favorite part of being in the club was the diversity of it.

“You get to hear so many different experiences,” he said. “We have many members of the club who have traveled this summer and learned about the different cultures. It is really exciting to be exposed to so many different experiences and opinions on things. It is really just an eye-opening experience.”

Bond discussed the benefits the Anthropology Club can offer WSU as well as the benefits of being a member.

“A big event this year is the forensic investigation in Guatemala, but this is only one of many benefits of being a member of the Anthropology Club,” he said. “It is the exposure to different thought processes, cultural diversity, the study of something you are truly adamant about, as well as learning about the interesting mix in science and social studies.”

Students interested in joining the Anthropology Club may speak with Bond or email him at [email protected].

This lecture was just the beginning of the Greek Festival. Today there will be an event titled “Greek Democracy” in the Stewart Library’s Hetzel-Hoellein Room at 12:30 p.m. — the same time and place as “Rhetoric: Means of Persuasion” on Sept. 23. On Sept. 24, the Greek Readers Theater and Good Company Theater will perform Aristophanes’ adult-themed play “Lysistrata,” also in the Hetzel-Hoellein Room at 12:30.

Another anthropology lecture will be held on Sept. 25 in the Shepherd Union Fireplace Lounge at 6:30 p.m. Following the lecture, “Oedipus the King,” also an adult-themed play, will be performed at 7:30 p.m. in the Wildcat Theater. Tickets are on sale for $8, or $5 for parties of five or more.