High Hopes for Wildcats Baseball in 2012

Weber State University’s club baseball team fought hard in Mesquite, Nev., last weekend. The team split its games, winning two and dropping two against Boise State University, University of Oregon, Utah Valley University and University of Wyoming.

WSU lost to UW 12-8 and beat BSU 0-2 on the first day of the tournament. WSU then beat UVU 16-1 and lost to UO 2-3 the second day.

Mike Kilts pitched for the Wildcats in the game against BSU and had a total of 11 strikeouts. The team had nine different guys record hits against UVU. The team only committed two errors in the entire four game series.

Scooter Cisneros, co-president, coach and captain of the team, said he feels really good despite dropping the two games in Mesquite.

“We played really good baseball,” Cisneros said. “We played great in the games we won, and we were only within one run in the two games we lost. We simply beat ourselves in those two by making foolish errors that could’ve been avoided. We will be sure to finish strong and not beat ourselves again.”

The Wildcats will play the College of Western Idaho next in a three-game series beginning on March 17 in Meridian, Idaho.

Cisneros said he believes the team will only get better throughout the year and ultimately make the playoffs.

“We’re practicing hard,” Cisneros said. “Things are clicking, and we’re excited to go up into Idaho. We hope to gain a lot of momentum that will eventually take us deep into the postseason.”

Co-president, captain and coach Chris Abbott said he agrees with Cisneros that the freshmen have stepped up, and the team has made a lot of improvements this season.

“Five of our 14 players are freshmen who are playing incredible,” Abbott said. “We have a lot of confidence this year, and we all believe that we’ll make the playoffs this year for sure.”

The baseball team practices five days a week, alternating from morning to night. Cisneros said it is making it tough to beat.

“Defense and pitching are our strengths this year,” Cisneros said. “When we are on our game and playing good defense with well-placed pitches, we’re incredibly tough to beat.”

Cisneros said that it gets tough every once in a while when he was asked about all his different responsibilities.

“It’s a lot of work, and I definitely have to plan my days accordingly, so I can get it all done,” Cisneros said. “I have to be calm on the field and make appropriate calls between innings. Sometimes I have to make pitching changes while playing first base.”

WSU’s baseball team will start its conference games in April. The first home game will be held at Lindquist Field in Ogden on Saturday, April 17 at 7 p.m. The team said it wants to encourage people to come out and support.

“Please look for flyers to be posted around campus with game times as well,” Cisneros said. “Come out for a good time and support your Wildcat baseball team.”

Teams are entered into the playoffs by their conference record. Regional playoffs will be held in La Grande, Oreg., in May, followed by the World Series, which will be held in Georgia.  The Wildcats will look to make their second appearance in the World Series in three years.